what is Microcontroller Subject about?

Boy, talk about being negative! What it the deal with this? Thy guy is obviously a newbie and you have to give him a wack for asking a simple question!!!

Reply to
rickman

I guess the head wacks can explain a lot...

Reply to
rickman

This is so rediculous! Now people in the US are criticizing the Brits for how they speak "English"!!!

Reply to
rickman

There is not much point in this context arguing about the differences between British and American English, since this is a minor problem, when trying to understand what others are saying. This is an international newsgroup with lots of people with English as their second or third language and people try hard to understand each other despite some grammatical errors. After all broken English seems to be the most common language in the world :-).

However, in recent years, more and more students with only a very basic skill in English have posted requests in this newsgroup.

I have often wondered, how these persons are going to understand for instance product data sheets written in English.

When designing new products, there is often a need to write various technical documents for your partners abroad and even manuals for the end users. Some of the end user manuals are horrible, either because they are written by a technical person with very basic skills in English or translated by a professional translator without understanding at all the subject. When the product is marketed in non-English speaking countries, this English nonsense is translated to the local language and the translation makes even less sense :-).

Even when the embedded designer is working for a sufficient large company with professional translators, the embedded engineer should be sufficiently fluent in English, in order to be able to check that the translator has correctly understood your text in your native language.

Thus, I would strongly recommend that anyone planning to work with embedded systems to study English, since it is vital to get information for any design job and also to publish your work for a larger audience.

By the way, the only thing that i know about in heavy industry e.g. steam turbines, I learned from the English lessons in the technical university, even if I studied electronics :-).

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

Sheesh, nobody's criticising anybody -- except for making fun of TV weather people, and you can't deny that many of them deserve it. ;)

We're merely have a civilized discussion on differences between two dialects of a language. It is off-topic, I admit...

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Finally, Zippy
                                  at               drives his 1958 RAMBLER

Why, are you looking for one?

Oh yes, you're another one of these people who posts questions then buggers off. Or throws your oar in just for the sake of it.

You're from Telesales aren't you?

Reply to
Aly

It will perhaps depend on the context. If by "Manchester" they are referring to the football players, rather than the team, then it is possible that they would say "Manchester have played well today", for example. But normally, "Manchester" would refer to the city, or a football team, and be a singular noun. I can't think of any context in which "HP have" would sound right.

It's is possible, as you say, that you've heard both - just because "HP have" is incorrect, does not mean that people don't say it (even on the BBC). And it is quite conceivable that for some reason, this mistake is more common in the UK than the US.

Reply to
David Brown

Have you heard John Cleese' summary of the differences between the USA and the UK?

  1. We speak English, and they don't.
  2. When we hold a "world series", we invite people from other countries.
  3. When you meet the head of state of Britain, you only have to go down on one knee.

mvh.,

David

Reply to
David Brown

It seems you know a lot about 'engineering' courses in 'countries' wher

**stuff is outsourced**?? What do you intend to say?? textbook answers an plagiarism are more widely tolerated than *where*???

Reply to
APS

I guess I don't really see the distinction.

In the US it would always be "Manchester has played well today".

How is the "Manchester" in "Manchester have played well today" not referring to the football team?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!
                                  at

Textbook answers are tolerated in most real-world situations if they prove sufficient.

Plagarism, at least of the "buy it rather than build it from scratch" form is also often desireable.

Going to engineering school is about learning for the long term; being an engineer is on a day to day basis about getting stuff to work today. Needless to say, there can be a big difference between the two.

My impression is that your typical "outsourcing countries" have in fact begun some efforts towards building genuine research universities, as they are no longer operating just on a day-to-day basis for which trade schools were sufficient. It doesn't seem like doing the low-end work alone is their long range plan.

Reply to
cs_posting

My point is that "Manchester has played well" is the usual thing to say in Britain too. If someone were to say "Manchester have played", they are simply abbreviating for "The Manchester players have played...". And I doubt if the "have" version is said much in the UK, and certainly not by people who have a reasonable command of English grammar.

Reply to
David Brown

I think most have missed the point. Its about learning the fundamentals of programming a computer or microcontroller for the pedantic.

What can you do with the controller? Probably nothing as a CE. What can you do with the subject? As I said, you will use it as a fundamental basis to how computers work. Even the modern duocore pentiums still use microcode and instructions. They still use registers and memory. ITs all the same, just on a larger scale. Understand this subject and you will probably outperform most CE's.

Reply to
The Real Andy