What Embedded programming engineer responsibility is?

I didn't major in related subject during my uni, so I want to know any other skill than being able to program in C is required to work in this industry.

Reply to
Elof Huang

Elof, shouldn't you discuss that question with a prospective employer?

Best regards, Gene

Reply to
Evgeny Filatov

Knowledge of electronics, electronic schematic reading, ...

Reply to
Mel Wilson

Any embedded programmer needs to know the underlying hardware. As such, he needs to be able to read and understand schematics.

Embedded devices also usually involve interfaces to the real world, so understanding signal conversions (Analog to digital and digital to analog) and the associated limits and errors.

Communications is another area of knowledge that is needed. Understanding bandwidth limitations is a start. then there are standard and non-standard protocols. Understanding the relation between protocol and bandwidth.

Okay, you know C, but you need to know that different compilers have different features that help or hurt your efforts to develop on a given platform.

Finally, the platform is more than just the processor. It includes the memory, I/O, and interrupt structure. It may include an OS or programming to the bare metal. There may be a BIOS, or you may have to write your own.

It can be thrilling and exhausting and seldom dull.

HTH, ed

Reply to
Ed Prochak