What does this instruction mean: ANDDC #239 ?

ANDDC #239 can someone explain the meaning of this assembly instruction?
I am using MC9S12A128B as the microcontoller on my target board.
Using metrowerks code warrior and BDM multilink.

Anyone info will do plz help as stuck with this project.  I am student an
completely new to the field of embedded systems.

Thanks for any help,
Ranjita

-> This message was sent using the  web interface o
www.EmbeddedRelated.com <-

Re: What does this instruction mean: ANDDC #239 ?

Go here:

http://tinyurl.com/6xsne

And download the document S12CPUV2.pdf. This is the Freescale reference
manual for your CPU. It it will be a description of *all* the CPU
instructions.

Re: What does this instruction mean: ANDDC #239 ?

<rant> I hate those tinyurls, I want to see where I am going.
Better to provide both. </rant>

This emphasizes the need for any embedded programmer to understand
the assembly language of the machine he is using.

Re: What does this instruction mean: ANDDC #239 ?

Wrapped URL's don't work so well in plain-text though.

For sure.

Re: What does this instruction mean: ANDDC #239 ?

Are you sure about that instruction? I just happened to take a break from a
HCS12 application I'm working on and went online for a few minutes. However,
I'm pretty knowledgeable about assembly and I didn't recognize that one. I'm
guessing that you're a bit lame with your keyboard, and you probably meant
ANDCC #239 instead, didn't you?

In any event, I tried to do HLI assembly with ANDDC in my application just
to see and it wouldn't compile, but ANDCC was no problem. I'm in agreement
with the other reply to your post, so hit the manuals before posting unless
you're totally lost and be careful with your syntax in the future. ANDCC is
the logical AND CCR with mask instruction. I use CodeWarrior myself and I'm
assuming that it wouldn't compile/assemble ANDDC for you either...

Gary Schnabl

Re: What does this instruction mean: ANDDC #239 ?

sorry sir the instruction was indeed ANDCC. I shall be careful the
next time.Thanks a lot for the help!!!!!!!!!!God bless u

Re: What does this instruction mean: ANDDC #239 ?

from a
However,
I'm
meant
just
agreement
unless
is
I'm

I doubt it! If it were, it would compile via HLI assembly, wouldn't it? It's
just common sense.If it won't compile/assemble on CodeWarrior, it just won't
compute, so to speak. It's just probable that someone along the line simply
made a typo. If it wasn't you, it was someone else. You don't have to be
pissed off about it.

Typos are commonplace, and I come across several a day, or more often than
that when I do some serious editing of manuals written by pros who should be
more careful. And of course, I make them too.

BTW. Before I brought up the point that it must have been a mistake, I ran a
Google search on both ANDCC and ANDDC - something that you could have easily
done yourself. I got a number of HC12 hits on ANDCC, but **not one** for
ANDDC after a hundred or so other matches for it - usually another typo for
"and dc."  Go figger!

Re: What does this instruction mean: ANDDC #239 ?
Clueless four-to-a-cubicle Indian programmer...?

I've seen stuff like this before with an offshore company in India - totally
clueless.  It always amazes me that people bother to answer questions for
the people that could be taking their jobs next year.

easily
for

Re: What does this instruction mean: ANDDC #239 ?
totally
for

What is the problem ? That he is clueless or that he will take your
job next year ?

Beware also of people in the cubicle next to yours, they can take
your job as well.

Re: What does this instruction mean: ANDDC #239 ?
The fact that he is clueless AND will take my job (and yours) next year.

What would happen if each year your company got rid of all the experienced
staff because they were being replaced with fresh graduates on a much
reduced salary?

Re: What does this instruction mean: ANDDC #239 ?

year.

He will benefit from the fact that he will take your job but he
is not responsible for this. This is decided at higher levels
and it will take more than bullying to address that.

experienced

They already do it. Our CEO told us that engineers in Poland are payed
250 euros each month so we'd better take care. I won't complain
to the poles though, it is up to us to deal with that.

Re: What does this instruction mean: ANDDC #239 ?
OK, thoughtful words.  However, if I then help him to do my job, how does
that convince the 'higher levels' that they were wrong to switch offshore
(since they see that the offshore company has all the expertise that was
previously in-house)?

My experience of Indian companies may be extraordinary (maybe other offshore
companies in India actually know what they are doing), but I'd be cautious
in using them.  I'm working for myself now, but I have had the 'opportunity'
to collaborate _with_ an Indian software company (I was at this time
completely open - seeing them as extra manpower to help with a project).
They were totally inept.  Eventually, I left that company.  The manager that
decided to use them cannot ever admit that they are useless because I showed
that they had paid US$100,000 to the Indians for some software that I could
have produced for US$10,000 (not many people are going to stand up and say,
"I made a decision, against contary advice, that has cost this company
US$90,000).  It's not clear what caused this situation, but it was one of
the following:

1. Indian culture causes Indians to be 'yes men'.  Therefore, if a
not-so-technical manager mentions a way to accomplish a task, the Indians
will say, "yes", rather than disagree with the customer.  This could have
severe cost implications.

2. The Indian company's techincal department were staffed entirely by new
graduates.  Therefore lack of experience led them to propose a less than
optimal solution (in terms of all metrics you might think to apply).

3. The Indian company knew that there was a significantly cheaper way to
implement the software product but decided not to explore that avenue -
since it was not as financially rewarding and the costlier solution had
severe cost penalties for future development too.

I've even seen two instances of 'release' versions of software being
released from the Indians that totally flattened systems after intalling
it - that's very scary (they couldn't even talk someone thru recovering the
PC - I had to go in to recover some important data from one of the
machines.).  They were, remember, expecting this CD to be suitable for
shipping direct to customers.

Good luck with your job security.

Re: What does this instruction mean: ANDDC #239 ?

does
offshore
was

I share your concern entirely. But usenet was once a place where you
could exchange tips without worrying, now that has changed apparently.

I need it, thanks.

Re: What does this instruction mean: ANDDC #239 ?

If you're the last competent person in the whole world to lose their
job, there won't be much that you can spend the money on that hasn't
been made by incompetent fools.

But I think we're there already.  Yay capitalism.

Re: What does this instruction mean: ANDDC #239 ?

Or the fate of capitalism...

Not that the other alternatives were much nicer though!

Re: What does this instruction mean: ANDDC #239 ?

That's capitalism ...

But, what's not fair is that he's trying to make us
do his job.

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

Re: What does this instruction mean: ANDDC #239 ?
*** clueless top-posting fixed ***

(and cluelessly stripped all attributions)

With all the silly clueless mistakes you made in your reply, you
have little cause to criticize.  If someone can compete at a
distance, that is his prerogative.  You could do and could have
done much more by insisting that the tax laws do not reward the
wealthy and encourage out-sourcing.  There is an old saying that
people get the government they deserve.

Re: What does this instruction mean: ANDDC #239 ?
You are missing the point.

1.  Top posting is a choice made by an individual - there is nothing that
says, "Thou shall not top-post".

(Anybody, at this point, that is unable to understand what's going on due to
lack of context, read no further - don't post a reply,  just go away now -
there's nothing here for you.)

2. I'm sorry if you need the attributions (I'm not sure what you mean here:
headers, signature?)  - it's very easy in my newsreader to get this info -
perhaps you should get a better newsreader (as they say a lot round here).

3.  I believe that outsourcing will have long term negative effects -
when/if these effects become detremental to the government (or, its
citizens) in some way then presumably tax laws will change.  The government
do not listen to individuals that 'insist'.

4. There are surely many societies that will disagree when you tell them
that they 'derserve' their government.

<snipped silly 'clueless' mistakes>

<snipped amusing signature containing nothing of importance>

Re: What does this instruction mean: ANDDC #239 ?
On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 20:09:02 -0000, "Joe Butler"

The extra work required, as a reader when reading top posted
the first few lines that tells me it is top posted.  It's as far as I
went with yours, as well.  But it was far enough for me to decide to
respond to that part.  (If you'd buried this comment later, I'd have
never seen it.)

If a poster doesn't care about my time, there is hardly a better way
to show it than by top posting.  So, while I cannot speak for others,
I pretty much overlook all top posters to conserve my limited time.

Once in a while, it's worth a moment to say so and you happened to
give me an easy target.  So I took my shot.

Jon

Re: What does this instruction mean: ANDDC #239 ?

The problem with top-posting is that nothing hangs together
properly, and that it encourages failure to snip.  Just the desire
to be understood should argue against it.

The attributions are the "Joe Blow wrote:" headers, which, when
synchronized to the count of leading '>' chars identify the authors
of quoted material.  I consider it simple courtesy to give credit
(or blame) where it is due.

People fail to realize that articles need to stand by themselves.
They may be read later, after the local system has purged anything
else in the thread.

At any rate, those things were secondary to my outrage at your
Indian rant.  Earlier today you posted a very lucid and fair
article about failings of at least one Indian firm, and what I
would consider Asian dislike for direct controversy.  I have
generally found people from the sub-continent to be intelligent and
able, but with hard to understand accents :-).

They do listen to those that vote.  The American public is
responsible for the existance of the present regime, even if only
by inaction.

I don't think we really disagree (apart from topposting), but we do
not agree about the basic causes.  Software people, myself
included, have been grossly overpaid for crappy work in the past.
The pay scales for programmers have been within a narrow band,
which should have been widened at both ends, according to ability
and quality.  Unfortunately it is hard for a layman to judge
those.  Instead they count whizbangs, and the result is foul web
pages and Microsoft.  But this is not the cause of outsourcing,
rather we should look into the tax laws that encourage it and the
increasing impoverization of the poor for the aggrandizement of the
rich.

A typical case is Stanley Tools, almost local to me, who closed all
their manufacturing a few years ago and shipped it elsewhere.  I
have not bought a Stanley tool (or anything else) since.  I would
rather buy something that honestly admits its origin than from a
firm that does its best to hide its actions.  Then there is the
other extreme, illustrated by a toaster I bought a few years ago.
I had to pay an extra dollar for one that claimed to be made in the
US.  It was simply not functional, and got junked in months.

No, I said "There is an old saying that people get the government
they deserve."  There is certainly a degree of truth in it.  I did
not write 'derserve', although without looking I could have
accepted that I did.

My sig line is intended to propagate a clue to the newbies that are
flooding usenet with useless replies via the shamefully inept
google interface.