What does it mean to be 68 family mpu or 80 family mpu compatible?

I'm looking at doing an embedded project with a 122x32 pixel LCD. All the 122x32 pixel LCDs I've seen have 1 or 2 SED1520 controllers onboard.

Something I have found in the SED1520 datasheet is that it is "Fast

8-bit MPU interface compatible with 80- and 68- family microcomputers."

What are these families of microcomputers? Can I infer from the above quote that microcomputers not of the 80- and 68- families are incompatible?

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
Jimbo

"Jimbo" wrote

I haven't seen that written for a few years. Motorola 6800 family - and all the product that followed on, and Intel 8080 family, and all the product that followed on, mostly from other companies (eg Z80 compatibles).

No, and in any case it is not really such a useful statement for the manufacturer to make - you need to check the timing of the LCD against the signals you will be providing in your application, anyway. I think you will find any micro these days will need some interface circuitry (atleast gates) to talk to a display, unless you use I/O port pins for communication. Hope this helps.

Steve

Steve

Nothing but marketing hype. The same as Intel engraving "Designed for M$ Windoze" on it's processors.

Vadim

Reply to
Vadim Borshchev

There is a difference in the bus philosophy: Intel has separate read and write strobes, Motorola has a read/write select bit and a single strobe (initially called 'enable' on m6800).

The strobes can be converted (within timing specs) from one bus philosophy to the other with a couple of simple gates.

The byte order of multi-byte numbers is also different: Motorola has most significant byte in lowest address ('Big-endian'), and Intel has least significant byte in lowest address ('Little-endian').

HTH

Tauno Voipio tauno voipio @ iki fi

Reply to
Tauno Voipio

Thank you everyone for your responses thus far. They've been enlightening.

I don't mean to kill the thread with this post. If more folks have more to say on this topic, please do!

Thanks again, Jim

Reply to
Jimbo

Some Moto micros have a configuration thing that allows selection of which way to operate the pins.

The latter much to the regret of some of us...

Reply to
Everett M. Greene