What do you think about HCS12X from Motorola ?

We are going to buy a new environment for a new uC.
Actually, we are using a Fujitsu 16 bits (MB90F94x).
What do you think of the HCS12X family from Motorola ? Does anyone have some
bad (/good) experience with it ?

Our dealer suggest us the CodeWarrior IDE from MetroWerks for HCS12
(compiler C, assembler, linker, emulator).
What do you think of this one ? Do you know a better one ?

Our dealer suggest us the dev board:
http://www.axman.com/support/DEMO9S12XDT512 ,
AXM-0350/DEMO9S12XDT512_UG_C.pdf
or
http://www.softecmicro.com/products.html?type=detail&title=SK-S12XDP512-A
Have you had some problems with one of the two boards ?

Our dealer suggest us the following 'in-circuit emulator, debugger and
programmer'
http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=USBMULTILINKB
DM&nodeId01%624684492994
Same question: problems ?

Do you know a C++ compiler for this family ? Is it compatible with
CodeWarrior ?

Thanks
Herve Lhuguenot

Re: What do you think about HCS12X from Motorola ?
Seems to me perfect !!
The Standard edition of CodeWarrior is not C++, but you can buy a "STN"
edition + C++ !!

Re: What do you think about HCS12X from Motorola ?
Thank you for the advice.

Herve

Re: What do you think about HCS12X from Motorola ?

I'd say get it.  Codewarrior can talk to a monitor routine on the HC12
via a serial port, but it can't reliably establish a connection if the
user program messes things up too badly, so I'm eagerly waiting the
arrival of the USB pod to create a more hardware debug interface (and
free up the PC serial port for debugging serial application code).  The
price is also quite nice, compared to the USB pods for some other
devices (for sticker shock, check out a USB 510 JTAG pod for a TI DSP!)

Also, the serial monitor option only works if you have a way to get the
serial monitor program into the on-chip flash - such as it already
being there when you bought the eval board.

Site Timeline