what are: universal auto code generators?

hi... in a job advert I find:
knowledge of universal auto code generators is recommended...

I tried to google for it, but I'm not sure if what I find is really
what the company wants...

so I'll explain here: the company is a big automotive safety systems
producer, position is for: automotive embedded software developers

additionally as you can guess english is not my first language, so I'm
not sure if this "auto" in "universal auto code generators" is short
for "automatic" or "automotive" - could anyone give me some hints?

also - another requirement is:
knowledge of product development process for automotive

are there any special (unique) guidelines for the automotive industry?

oh ;-) and please don't tell me that since I need to ask such
questions then I'm not qualified enough to apply for that job - they
already invited me for an interview...

Re: what are: universal auto code generators?

Probably automatic code generation from things like UML front end tools.
Usual output is C or C++ although there are sometimes other flavours.

As many aspects of automotive systems development can be considered safety
critical and will therefore require a sound development process. The
company that hires you should be willing to induce you into their process
at joining. Essentially the process will cover specifications through
development to manufacture configuration management and the means by which
the systems will be reviewed and tested. Well worth reading up on some of
this before the interview so you are not completely in the dark about it.

The MISRA C guidelines, which have just entered version 2, will be of
interest to you in this respect I suppose. It covers some safer forms of
constructuing C programmes. I don't think many are using Ada or SPARK for
the software. There is, I know, some Forth around but the only one I know
of for sure is in a racing car system.

Congratulations on getting the interview anyway. I am sure that if you seem
interested enough in learning the things you don't know right now and have
enough of a firm grasp on the basics then you should do well. Just be
honest in the interview and they will respect you for it. Best of luck with
getting the job.

Re: what are: universal auto code generators?

:snip:

When I'm interviewing a candidate who's missing some piece of
information the _best_ thing that they can do is to wait until I ask the
question then say "I don't know that, can you explain?"  They will then
earn more points by either finding that they _do_ know that information
under a different name, or by indicating that they are willing to learn.

If they gave you the interview anyway it means that they know that you
don't have those capabilities but they're willing to consider you
anyway.  This is either because the person writing the requirements was
out of sync with the hiring manager, or the company has "boilerplate"
requirements they always put in, or that somebody just wasn't thinking
(believe me, it happens).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Don't just cross your fingers!!  Send a follow-up letter!!:

How nice it was to meet them!
How interesting the company and it's products were!
How enjoyable the interview process was!
How challenging the test questions were!
How you may have done a different solution!
How you look forward to being a valuable member of their group
and contributing to their growth!

Think of some of your own things to say!

And do it now!

But for gosh sakes, don't just sit by the phone and wait....

Did they tell you how long they will take to decide?

If that time has passed, add that you hadn't heard from them
and would like to know what they've decided, and are available for
additional interviews, if needed!

I suspect my getting the great job I have now was partly due to
follow-up and interest.  (I can't prove it though,  because I don't
have the nerve to ask my boss: Why did you hire me anyway?
He may wonder...)

Rufus

Re: what are: universal auto code generators?
On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 19:32:34 -0500, "Rufus V. Smith"

yes... they told me they'll contact me within 2 weeks... it's been
only 8 days so far... and 2 days ago I've seen the same ad in the
paper - so I gather they didn't finishe the recruitment procedure
yet...

well - at the first interview I did ask them about the "time-scale" of
their "decision making process" - they told me it's the first, but
definitely not the last interview, so I guess they know what they're
doing trying to select "the right people"...

yes - you're right about one thing - you can't prove it ;-)

but anyway - I think I will send that "follow-up" letter... although
it will most likely bounce-back at the first "fire-wall" which is some
kind of "blondie" (secretary) knowing nothing about me or my case...

Following up on interview (was: what are: universal auto code generators?)
... snip ...

Send multiple ones, addressed to the particular people who
interviewed you.  You did make notes of their names and titles at
the time? (or gather their cards).

Re: what are: universal auto code generators?
On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 19:32:34 -0500, "Rufus V. Smith"

well - I do cite the whole of your post because it's been quite a
while and the situation is quite "funny"...

after you posted it I did send the follow-up letter to that company
who interviewed me on 4th of January... I sent them an e-mail with
just one attachemet : FUL_Here_My_Name.pdf

in the body of that e-mail I said:

Attached please find a follow-up letter.
Sincerely Yours
My_Name

5 minutes ago I got an e-mail from that company saying:

Please send us your Curriculum Vitae.

there was a telephone number and the name of a person to contact - I
did call her right away saying that I just got her e-mail asking to
send her my CV... she started right away explaining that I only sent
her a "Cover Letter" and without sending her my Curriculum Vitae she
cannot process my application - I told her that I've already been
interviewd by them and this was just a follow-up letter just as the
first sentece of it was stating (This is just a follow-up letter to
let you know that it was really nice to meet you at the interview on
Tuesday 04th of January 2005)... After she realized (I hope) what the
case is I asked her whether my follow-up letter can be passed to the
person who interviewed me - she just said NO - that was the end of my
conversation with her - I said I'll be waiting to hear from them and
hang up.

so - now I gather - that person who checks the documents from
candidates (receives e-mails) doesn't know what a follow-up letter is
- she obviously doesn't read anything - she just receives e-mails,
checks if they include both CV and CL... well... doesn't really matter
- my point is - sending them that FUL was pretty much pointless ;-)

but thanks for your advice anyway...

My_Name
PS. Can anybody offer me a job as embedded/DSP engineer? I'm willing
to relocate anywhere.

Re: what are: universal auto code generators?

A follow up letter is written by hand, in ink, on bond paper.
It is mailed by USPS to the mail address of the person you interviewed.

_Nobody_ is going to be bothered with your *.pdf named 'FUL'.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Consulting Engineer:  Electronics; Informatics; Photonics.

That's true.  For anything to be seen, go regular mail.  I guess
since being employed I forgot that important detail.  Sorry.

Rufus

Re: what are: universal auto code generators?
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 11:02:07 -0500, "Rufus V. Smith"

hm... well... I assumed - since I e-mailed my CV+CL I should "stick
to" that (e-mail) way of communicating with them... but then - what do
I know?

Re: what are: universal auto code generators?

I think that laser-printed on quality paper is prefectly
acceptable.

Or the local equivalent.  IIRC, the OP lives on Poland, so
mailing something via USPS is rather difficult.

to each person who interviewed you.  Remember that they may
compare notes, and you get extra points if the follow up
letters aren't all identical but contain something pertinent to
each of the recipients. :)

Agreed.

If you are going to e-mail a follow-up letter, at least do it
in plain text.  And make sure you e-mail it directly, and
individually to each of the people who interviewed you.

Whether e-mail follow-up is OK depends on the culture and
people involved.  I'd be fine with getting a nicely written
plain text e-mail followup.  I would expect it to meet the same
standards of composition, grammar, punctuation, and spelling
that would be applied to a printed and mailed letter.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Not SENSUOUS... only
                                  at               "FROLICSOME"... and in

[...re: MISRA-bull guidelines...]

Indeed.  For example, rule 41 (MISRA V1, I haven't gotten V2 yet) says
"The implementation of integer division in the chosen compiler should
be determined, documented, and taken into account."  Good advice, but
hard to check statically.

And of course, rule 29 ("The use of a tag shall agree with its
declaration") is completely incomprehensible, so that's somewhat
difficult to check as well.

Actually there are several.  Googling "static analysis c misra" gets
over 17,000 hits, with Programming Research's QA-C tool popping up as
the first one.  Most of the others advertise, list, or review other
tools.

QA-C is, however, uh, somewhat expensive.  PC-lint is probably the
most cost-effective tool for this task (IMHO, of course).

Regards,

                               -=Dave
--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.

Re: what are: universal auto code generators?

The rules were designed as a good subset of C not as a set of statically
analysable rules. (See C1 Rule 4)

PC_Lint is the most cost effective. It also does MISRA-C1 and C2. (and
++) Also being command line it integrates into most IDE's

It is available from  www.gimple.com in the US and snipped-for-privacy@iSystem.ltd.uk
in the UK

Re: what are: universal auto code generators?

Most of them are listed on www.misra-c.org
If any one knows any others please let me know.

Apologies for the state of the site. I will update is ASAP (wife and
kids permitting :-)

Re: what are: universal auto code generators?

I am assuming that you are in the US although the email address
indicates other.

Neither "universal automatic code generator" nor "universal automobile
code generator" make any sense on first reading.

I suggest one of the following:

o What they wrote isn't what they meant.  Concentrate on the parts
  that make sense.

o They make a box that sends diagnostic codes to a car's
  computer and they want it to work with any car.  Code in this
  sense does not mean 'software source code', but a secret/obscure word
  that gives access - as in 'the spy said the code word'.

  There is lots of info on automobile diagnostic codes on the i'net.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Consulting Engineer:  Electronics; Informatics; Photonics.
Re: what are: universal auto code generators?

Think rhapsody

i-logix