What are people using for single-board computers these days?

Got curious after a question on EmbeddedRelated.com -- is there a unified
SBC market, or is it totally splattered?  20 years ago if someone said
"industrial SBC" then there was probably a PC-104 board in the mix, and
if they said "military SBC" then it was probably VME.

I'm wondering if that's still the case, or if the world has been taken
over by BeagleBxxx and XXXX-Pi boards.

Hard evidence (i.e., what you've actually worked on or next to, or market
surveys by independent third parties) is to be preferred.  Googling for
market surveys doesn't lead to much satisfaction, but that could just be
my lack of Google-Fu.

--
www.wescottdesign.com

Re: What are people using for single-board computers these days?

I have a thing in the pipeline where a Coldfire board that went
obsolete years ago is being ported to an ARM based on a RasPi 3. I've
built a HAL for it and am running, more or less, the original code[1]
on the HAL. The HAL mocks memory-mapped peripherals on the obsolete
hardware.

[1] which used an ancient extension of 'C'.

The first prototype will be an actual RasPi 3 with USB peripherals.

But even more than that, I am developing a rather slavish devotion to
building plant simulators using small $50 ARM boards and USB
peripherals.

Some of the USB peripherals are Ardiunos.

It is simply the right thing to do these days. The simulator will
diverge from the actual plant, but if you do this right, you can fold
the error signals into the  plant model iteratively until they match
well enough.

There is one cultural problem - many people irrationally believe their
system needs much lower latency than it actually does.

--
Les Cargill

Re: What are people using for single-board computers these days?

Before I started my current automation project, I canvassed the available
offerings with an eye towards just making "daughter cards" and "software"
so folks wishing to replicate my work could buy the bulk of the kit
from a third party (I don't want to manufacture).

There didn't appear to be a gorilla in the room.  Rather, trends that
seemed to change almost like "fashion".  I concluded this would be
a bad approach, for me, as I'd then be at the mercy of a SBC manufacturer
who might opt to abandon a particular model at any given time (leaving
me scrambling to modify my designs to fit some new offering -- from
that vendor or another).

The difference, now, vs. the 70's is that most hardware is cheaper and
smaller, lower power, etc.  You're not facing "card cages" to support
a large memory board, digital I/O, analog I/O, motor driver, etc. all
packaged in one box.

And, the tools available for designing those boards AND (more importantly)
the software that runs on them are far more affordable and available.
You don't have to BUILD a TTY in order to write code.

Instead, the "market" seems to have moved towards software platforms
that could, potentially, be hosted on different iron at the whim of
the platform developer/maintainer.  The downside is that there seems
to be a diminishing sense of "choice" as everything seems to be
a hammer, just differing colors!

Re: What are people using for single-board computers these days?

The few contacts I've had for this sort of need has been oriented to PLC
controllers which essentially *are* single board computers in a package.
  Often they require the same external power supply although typically
single rail and have similar interfaces although often some which are
robust like relay drivers and EIA232 or CAN bus.  They usually are
expandable and some makers have a wide variety of peripheral modules.

--

Rick C

Re: What are people using for single-board computers these days?

Those boards are basically consumer mobile phones without the phone
stuff.  So there's a concern about long term parts availability etc.
Industrial-style boards still are being made.  grisp.org is about a very
cool Erlang-specialized board that I'd be happy to use for some hobby
things, but can't really see doing so because it's so much more
expensive than a BeaglePi or whatever those are called now.

Re: What are people using for single-board computers these days?
ESP 8266 of which there may be a dozen suppliers. Board is about the
size of a postage stamp cost $5-$10 many 3rd party I/O compatible boards.

It has built in WiFi an hour or two to create a website on it and then
user interface is a smart phone or tablet.

Personal project to build a little stepping motor and camera shutter
controller to take panoramas.

I have used the boards for a variety of applications.

w..

Re: What are people using for single-board computers these days?

]> ESP 8266 of which there may be a dozen suppliers.

Am looking at the ESP 32 as a very capable device to do homebrew IoT projects.
(not as cheap as ESP8266 but capable of BLE at much lower power)

Also:
https://groups.google.com/forum /#!topic/comp.lang.forth/DNLBOSn6KsQ

Site Timeline