What about uC/OS-II? (was: FreeRTOS / SafeRTOS in a Medical Device)

A couple of years ago, I was sort of peripherally involved in a DO-178B Level C project that used MicroC/OS-II. I don't know for sure what the costs were but I believe they were in the thousands rather than the tens of thousands (will confirm that on Monday).

The uC/OS-II folks make a big deal out of being certified by FAA under DO-178B.

Now, I know that FAA != FDA but in general, FAA tends to be more strict than FDA, so I wouldn't think that an FAA-"certified" OS would have any trouble getting past FDA.

Do any of you have any thoughts on uC/OS-II vs SafeRTOS?

Reply to
C. J. Clegg

Figure that ucOSII is about 5000USD and maybe add 5000USD for stacks and what ever. The Micrium pricelist is on the website:

Validated Software are offering FDA for 10000USD:

Micrium + Validated are able to offer FDA so cheaply as they have the largest SAFTEY market share of all the 'Low End' RTOS vendors.

Reply to
funkyarm

Disclaimer: We are the provider of uC/OS-II Validation Suites since 1999. This is not intended as an advertisement.

SafeRTOS has only been certified on one processor/compiler combination according to their web site.

We have had uC/OS-II certified on most popular processor/compiler combos including ARM7, ARM9, numerous PPCs, Coldfire, TI and Analog Devices DSPs, x86s, etc. with all the popular toolsets such as ARM, IAR, CodeWarrior, various GNU implementations, Code Composer, WindRiver Diab and GHS Multi.

Contact me through our web site for commercial information.

--
Scott
Validated Software Corp.

Just out of curiosity, as it has been given here for others, what is the approximate cost?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Chris H

[Exact as per reply in other thread]

I will have a look at this, it seems very misleading or out of date. Our own original component certification by TÜV was performed on one particular configuration baseline, using a particular compiler, and a particular processor [the only way it can be done]. It does not, or at least is not supposed to, mean this is the only configuration baseline that is available.

--
Regards,
Richard.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
FreeRTOS.org

The cost varies with the need and the safety level. We have a Low Cost Validation Suite that is under $10K, but it is specifically a reference set for medical use. A more typical price is 40-60K. We also supply Validation Suite Kits for customers that have a need to do the final testing in house.

DO-178B Validation Suites for uCOS range start at $20K for the lowest level of criticality and can run 4 or 5 times that for a complete Level A package. Prices always vary with the level of customization (processor/compiler, etc.) the customer needs. The base Validation Suite is 90-95% off-the-shelf. The rest is service work.

--
Scott
Validated Software Corp.

  • the time to run the validation suite
  • the cost for the final certification of the RTOS
--
42Bastian
Do not email to bastian42@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-)
 Click to see the full signature