What about the motorola microcontroller?

Is it good to learn or to use.What general factor we should consider if I we want to use it? I'm just newbie in microcontroller and have a very great interesting in it.

Reply to
Bruce Sam

Is it good to learn or to use.What general factor we should consider if I we want to use it? I'm just newbie in microcontroller and have a very great interesting in it.

Reply to
Bruce Sam

Which Motorola microcontroller. They make several (68HC05/08/11/12, M*Core,

68K-based, PowerPC).
Reply to
Gary Kato

Hi, the trick is to have the application first, then choose a micro that fits the bill.

Reply to
CBarn24050

Motorola is now On Semiconductor. Have a look at their web site

and see if their MCUs are suitable for your application.

Leon

--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller

fits

That all depends on numbers. If low volume then learning curves are such a generic well featured micro would be a good choice.

The trouble with most Motorola micros is that they have so much historical garbage with them I can't really recommend them for a newbie.

Also what's the budget for a compiler and/or debug tool? If on the very cheap then have a look at the SDCC compiler. It caters for many of the available micros.

Reply to
Fred

Sorry, but for microcontroller, this is FRESSCALE :

---

Yvan

Leon Heller a écrit dans le message :

41e4f9c1$0$16589$ snipped-for-privacy@news-text.dial.pipex.com...
Reply to
Yvan BOURNE

Not for learning. For learning choose a popular one, such as PIC & AVR

Rene

Reply to
Rene Tschaggelar

"Fred" schreef in bericht news:41e4fa29$0$31430$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk...

I beg to differ. The ease with which you get your application together depends largely on the development environment. I'm quite charmed by Metrowerks Codewarrior for HC08 in combination with Processor Expert. The latter shields off most of the intricacies that come with initializing the various peripherals. I'm aware that there's a performance penalty to pay, but that outweighs the speed with which you get the app up and running. At a later stage you can always delve into the nitty-gritty if you need (want). As to the 'historical garbage' , that's a purely subjective judgement. The application determines the MCU. It all comes down to 'good tools make good products'.

Have fun

Waldemar

Reply to
WaldemarIII

I want to use it in automotive.But I am unknown with the motorola MCU.

Reply to
Bruce Sam

Use what your friends and peers use.That way you have local 'hands on' help available that can actually see what you're doing. The Web may be great at some things but hands on isn't one of them. As far as the Motorola chips, just be sure you can GET the parts! I got screwed twice by them ( hc705 and hc11 series) a long time ago went to Microchip PIC series and never looked back. PICs allowed me to retire early( 45) so I am partial to them. Whatever you choose, stick with it. Going to the 'latest and greatest' isn't the best approach. Learn how to use what you have. JAY

Reply to
j.b. miller

Now, Freescale let you order samples of their chips, even microcontroller like 68HC908.

--

---

Yvan

j.b. miller a écrit dans le message : EPaFd.16464$Y snipped-for-privacy@read2.cgocable.net...

help

isn't

Reply to
Yvan BOURNE

Hello Jay,

Wow. How did you do that? Could you elaborate a little without breaking any confidentiality?

Besides the business aspects, how did you determine how much is enough to retire on? You see all those over-simplified examples in the financial advice columns of newspapers but not really much in terms of detailed stories about how somebody actually did it.

With respect to the topic, despite being used to the standard C51 families I am beginning to get my hands dirty with the MSP430. Bought the tools and will start soon. I found this to be the most intriguing uC because of its low power capabilities and the sheer volume of variants. Seems like the MSP is here to stay. My only gripe is that it is kind of tough to find enough information about nitty gritty hardware details like the DCO or transistor level schematics for the ports, and since I am a hardware guy that would be important. So far they really don't have an available device in the 'well under $1' class but hopefully that will change.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

historical

We are talking many thousands of pounds for the system you describe. Whilst long term economic sense I'm not sure if this sort of expenditure is likely for a newbie. For a starter on a limited budget the Rabbit may be perfectly adequate.

The Motorola range of micro has a lot of clutter in its architecture normally unseen in other devices. Yes a good development environment will mask all of this as you say but I don't feel it's an ideal situation.

Reply to
Fred

What a horrible name. You'd think a company that size could do better than that.

Rufus

Reply to
Rufus V. Smith

Motorola is Motorola, and it makes cell phones and other system-level stuff. But it has spun off not one, but two semiconductor companies: On semiconductor got opamps, gates, discretes and other "commodity" semis, Freescale semiconductor got microprocessors, DSPs and other "top end" stuff.

I can't remember who got the RF stuff; I think it Freescale but I always have to look.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

They held onto the microcontroller business a bit longer than the rest of the semiconductor stuff, and spun it off as "Freescale". That's where you'll find the MCUs.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

The two companies are starting to make competing components in some areas as well. Specifically LINBus, CAN and other automotive components.

Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus