Wearing a suit to an interview is a mild form of hazing

A tux (dinner jacket) is semi-formal. Formal is a tailcoat and white tie in the evening or a cutaway/morning coat before 4PM. I'm probably a bit old-fashioned, though.

Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com
Reply to
Grant Edwards

Well, touche, I suppose, but I did say that the tuxedo was the minimum of formal.

I'm reminded of a time shortly after moving to California from the midwest. A new manager had also just started at the company after decades of working in the NYC area. An invitation for a company party stated that dress would be "semi-formal" and the manager asked aloud "What the hell does that mean around here?" A "native" responded, without hesitation, "It means you wear your newest jeans."

          Michael Kesti            |  "And like, one and one don't make
                                   |   two, one and one make one."
    mrkesti at hotmail dot com     |          - The Who, Bargain
Reply to
Michael R. Kesti

Southern California formal is shoes /and/ socks.

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

I vowed never again about 60 years ago. Both my daughters forced me to break that vow for their weddings! Small mercy, these days the shirts aren't starched.

CBFalconer

Am I the only one that thinks this sounds like someone went to an interview perhaps a tad under-dressed, didn't get the job, and has convinced himself that the *only* possible reason they didn't offer a job to the hippest, straightest-talking, most technically competent engineer - nay, Oracle - was the fact that he didn't wear a suit??? ;)

Regards,

--
Mark McDougall, Engineer
Virtual Logic Pty Ltd,

Back in 1999 I had hard time finding the job despite the fact that I was C coding machine generating thousands bug-free LOC a day and yet such detail as my English language defficiency kept them from hiring me, why not for lack of manners ? ;)

--
Roman Ziak
www.dipmicro.com

No I think that too. He's what I call a well balanced chap - a chip on each shoulder.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

No, no, the interviewers had "Weak Engineering DNA", obviously. They weren't *fit* to employ him. ;)

pete

--
pete@fenelon.com "there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas"
Reply to

As others have pointed out BubbaGump's poor attitude, I have nothing to add to that.

As for interview dress, I've found it best to dress to closely match what I estimate will be the interviewer's dress. You don't want your clothes to be a distraction during the meeting. A unspoken synergy can be established starting with the way you dress.

I've seen post-interview meetings where the interviewers met and laughed off candidates simply because of some little oddity in the way he dressed (for example, shorts, white socks, or old suit). You want the interviewers to discuss your atttributes as they relate to the job, not how you dressed that day.

When in doubt, be flexible. Wear a tie, jacket and dress pants and shed them as necessary.

JJS

Reply to
John Speth

I was interviewed by my future boss in casual shirt and chinos and his sidekick in t-shirt and casual trousers; I was in sports jacket, trousers and fairly decent shirt and tie. I was able to see that my usual working dress of fairly respectable shirt, jeans, and hiking boots was well within the spectrum of normality on my lab tour.

Absolutely. I did do a 'quick change' after one interview - it was local and I went on to my own job afterwards. Off with the jacket, tie, polished Oxfords and smart trousers in the gents as soon as the interview was over, back on with fleece, jeans and boots kept in my rucksack ;)

It's even worth keeping an emergency tie and a shirt you can wear it with (if you're in the habit of wearing polo shirts or t-shirts) in your desk at work. You never know who might be coming in to visit.

pete

--
pete@fenelon.com "there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas"
Reply to
Pete Fenelon

There's no way I'd take my pants off at an interview! :-)

Dan

Reply to
Dan N

Next to the famous battle call: "Dyslexics of the world: Untie!!"

(It's embedded in my memory and, therefore, on-topic.)

Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group, return address is invalid ]
Reply to
Roberto Waltman

Along with

"Being Dyslexic means you never have to say you are syrro"...

Like wise embedded in my memory from a long time ago.....

(... in a distant galaxy, far, far away...)

    PC Services
             For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul Carpenter

He seems to have disappeared. Probably ranting about the anti-diluvian attitudes he encountered here. Free beer for all the workers.

CBFalconer

I guess it would depend on what job you were going for!?! ;)

Regards,

--
Mark McDougall, Engineer
Virtual Logic Pty Ltd,
21-25 King St, Rockdale, 2216
Ph: +612-9599-3255 Fax: +612-9599-3266
Reply to
Mark McDougall

Agreed - I once turned up to an interview in a tie to be met with shorts and a polo shirt. Didn't go well.

Regards,

--
Mark McDougall, Engineer
Virtual Logic Pty Ltd,
21-25 King St, Rockdale, 2216
Ph: +612-9599-3255 Fax: +612-9599-3266
Reply to
Mark McDougall

Unless it was *absolutely* necessary.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I can certainly top that. I rode the motorcycle to an interview in Silicon Valley, about 60 miles from where I lived. About halfway there it started to rain, hard. I didn't have a rainsuit and my leathers left black stains around my cuffs and neck. A real nice look for an interview.

I didn't get the job and I bought a rain suit the next weekend.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Before we invite anybody in for an interview, we let them know that ties are *not allowed* on our property.

John

To Win a game First learn the rules. If the rules say you show up in a tee shirt and Jeans you do not get hired, then thanks for playing. I am sure there are place that will not judge you on your interview dress, but they do not tell you that upfront.

Unless you have super skills and a gold plated resume. Then you can get away with an amazing amount of stuff.

Reply to
Neil