Ways of programming a TMS470 (TI microcontroller with 256k flash)?

Hi everyone,

Im a senior undergrad. I obtained samples of the TMS470R1A256PZ from TI to play around with. However, seems like the only way of programming these things is thru a Jtag cable..which is way too expensive for me (the cable + the sw costs quite a packet, right?). Does anyone out here know of other ways of programming these things?

Regards

Mayank

Reply to
Mayank Kaushik

You should be able to use a simple JTAG interface that connects to the printer port, like the one I use with the Philips ARM chips. The PCB design is in the Files area of the LPC2000 Yahoo group.

Leon

--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller

Hi,

My membership request to this group is pending. But id also like to ask you, what software would i use to send data from the host PC to the target uC? Surely it would be specific to the controller?

Reply to
Mayank Kaushik

I've just approved your membership (I'm the moderator).

You want jtag.zip in the Files section. You can also buy something similar from Olimex if you don't want to make your own. You should be able to use any of the tools for the LPC2000, like CrossWorks from Rowley. All ARMs use the same protocols for JTAG loading and debugging. As my interface (and Olimex's) are compatible with the Macraigor Wiggler, you can use the free Macraigor OCD Commander utility for uploading code into the TMS470.

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

There is no such thing as a membership. This is an unmoderated newsgroup, and anyone can read and post. We just ask that they make a good faith attempt to be on-topic, avoid flaming and gross behaviour.

Do not confuse google with a news server. Google simply archives the happenings in the world of usenet, and provides a broken (see sig below) interface to it. You are much better off getting your own news reader, such as Netscape, Mozilla, Thunderbird, Xnews, etc. Avoid Outlook Express, which is one of the worst (but still better than the Google interface).

CBFalconer

He meant the LPC2000 Yahoo group, not this newsgroup. 8-)

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

Mr. Falconer, i sent you an email, did you get it? (hope u did)! The subject was "Got your ID from comp.arch.embedded", hope u didnt think it was spam!

Reply to
Mayank Kaushik

Hi Leon, Got those files, thanx. The lpc seems to be more popular that the atmel at91rm9200 im using, i cant even find protel libs for it :-( mayb il get an lpc2000 to play with, if philips hands out samples :o) Regards Mayank

Reply to
Mayank Kaushik

Hi, Leon

free

I havent tried anything yet, but the Macraigor site states this about the OCD Commander: "This debugger is not designed to be used to program flash devices connected to your target" Is there a workaround?

The Flash programmer has a demo version but costs $$$500 8-Z

Regards Mayank

Reply to
Mayank Kaushik

Do you think they will ever fix it?! I actually like the interface on the whole - although I preferred the pre-beta one - but they really need to start paying attention to feedback on it IMHO. There are other stupidities in it.

Reply to
toby

You are right, it just lets you load code into RAM for testing. You could write some code to program the flash from the RAM.

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

could

Thats an idea, but the RAM in this chip is too limited..12k only.Can u suggest a way of sending the data (what protocol?) Ive tried this with the AT91rm9200 using the xmodem protocol, but the protocol implementation itself left little room for anything else in the RAM.and that too despite the fact that much of the xmodem stuff was on the internal ROM. A simple checksum on the receiver would take care of the error detection, i suppose..

Reply to
Mayank Kaushik

That was my first ARM project: To write a small (

Reply to
Mark Borgerson

I have no idea. They did fix the stupid absorption of leading white space. I can't understand how they can justify not fixing the reply link, since all it requires is linking that to different and pre-existing code. I suspect the way to apply pressure is to loudly and publicly ridicule their technical ability, and thus their long term viability, as long as they fail to fix it. Sell the stock short. Complain to them.

CBFalconer

I think they also fixed that absurd oversight about being able to reply to old (and ancient) threads - a problem best outlined by Michael Black:

Yes, that's why I've been wondering why they haven't already done it.

Reply to
toby

12K sounds like it should be enough. I wrote a program to program a H8 microcontroller's flash, and it fitted into the microcontrollers RAM, which was either 2 or 4K, can't remember which now. The program was written in C and compiled with the GNU compiler with optimisations enabled for compact code. It didn't support xmodem though - I wrote some simple software for a PC that sent my program code over an RS232 connection using a very simple protocol.

HTH

Paul

--
Remove _rem_ before replying by email.