WARNING: defective Edimax PCI Ethernet Cards

A friendly warning to all - I bought an Edimax 9130TX NIC
for some testing on an embedded platform using 3.3V PCI
slots.  The card is laid out as a universal PCI card, and
was advertised as PCI 2.2 compliant.

The card has a connection between Vio and +5V (assuming it
will always be in a 5V slot).  Since a 3.3V slot has Vio at
+3.3V, it shorted 5 and 3.3V together which blew out the
I/O pullups (and who knows what else) on my cpu/pci bridge
chip.

Their response to this was something along the lines of
"sorry, try our new board with the 8139D".  Yeah, right...
Needless to say, I would advise avoiding this outfit.

Re: WARNING: defective Edimax PCI Ethernet Cards

That's a pretty nasty defect... did they at least document it?

Site Timeline