want to learn RTOS

Hi, Can anybody suggest me good rtos material.I have good amount of exp in embedded software devp.I've never used any rtos so far.Something tht will help me leverage my exp would be great Thank u Vishal Patil

Reply to
vishal

There is the book "MicroC OS-II: The Real Time Kernel" by Jean Labrosse. It goes through the source code of an RTOS that the author wrote.

Reply to
Gary Kato

Try:

Ken Barlow

Yeah he's right. uC-OS is the cheapest way for an individual to get his feet wet in RTOSes.

As far as priorities, multithreading, multitasking, interprocess communication, etc. goes, RTOS concepts are closely familiar with Unix-like OSes (e.g. Minix, Linux). You can install these on a PC and play with the mechanisms mentioned in the previous sentence.

In fact, from a programming point of view, the determinism that makes an RTOS an RTOS is usually transparent to the programmer for the most part, even to a device driver developer. (I might be wrong though, because i haven't touched an RTOS since 2002). Thus, it is more important to know OS concepts, which are applicable to 99% of your programming in an RTOS.

-Mike

Reply to
Mike V.

There are cheaper alternatives (e.g. eCos) that don't even require you to purchase a book. That said, it's a good book and a good little OS.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Here I am at the flea
                                  at               market but nobody is buying

You could also try the RTEMS (free software):

Best regards, Jacek.

Reply to
Jacek M. Holeczek

Yet another open-source RTOS

John Taylor

Ahem!

It

I think not. Labrosse may be fine *if you already understand something about RTOSs*, otherwise not, speaking as one who tried to use it to learn about RTOSs from scratch.

If you want to get a solid foundation on OS principles, a book like Comer's "The Mount Xinu Approach " is a better bet, in my view.

Dave Bardon, Avocet.

Reply to
Avocet Systems, Inc

Hi,

For a good description of multi-threaded programming concepts used in most RTOSes, try "Multi-C" from MiX software. It is written in a tutorial style and includes full C Source for a Multi-threaded library based on coroutines. (Cooperative multi tasking).

(Tracing through an example program using a source level debugger is quite interesting)

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus

Sheesh, I didn't know that Dr. Comer had yet another Xinu book out.

But I completely agree that Doug's books are probably the very best way to learn about operating systems, if you are new to the subject. Most operating system books presume a teacher is there to help out or just dive in and cover all of a range of broad subjects. Even Tanenbaum's books, which get into some practical details, are overburdened by the details of fabricating a fairly sophisticated O/S. In contract, Comer comes at things in surprisingly simple fashion and yet with very useful results for many. And it speaks well, I think, to those trying this for the first time.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

I don't think he does. There's no "mount xinu" book as far as I can tell. The original Xinu book came out twenty years ago, and (IIRC) about fifteen years ago it was revised and split into two volumes. It's been out of print for a long, long time, but you can still get paperback on-demand laser-printed "facsimile" versions for $90.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  With YOU, I can be
                                  at               MYSELF... We don't NEED
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Grant Edwards

The original poster didn't mention they were new to OS principles. I'd not recommend Labrousse's book for an OS novice. The original poster only mentioned something on RTOS.

Reply to
Gary Kato