want to learn RTOS

Can anybody suggest me good rtos material.I have good amount of exp in
embedded software devp.I've never used any rtos so far.Something tht
will help me leverage my exp would be great
Thank u
Vishal Patil

Re: want to learn RTOS

There is the book "MicroC OS-II: The Real Time Kernel" by Jean Labrosse. It
goes through the source code of an RTOS that the author wrote.

Re: want to learn RTOS

Yeah he's right. uC-OS is the cheapest way for an individual to get
his feet wet in RTOSes.

As far as priorities, multithreading, multitasking, interprocess
communication, etc. goes, RTOS concepts are closely familiar with
Unix-like OSes (e.g. Minix, Linux). You can install these on a PC and
play with the mechanisms mentioned in the previous sentence.

In fact, from a programming point of view, the determinism that makes
an RTOS an RTOS is usually transparent to the programmer for the most
part, even to a device driver developer. (I might be wrong though,
because i haven't touched an RTOS since 2002). Thus, it is more
important to know OS concepts, which are applicable to 99% of your
programming in an RTOS.

-Mike

Re: want to learn RTOS

There are cheaper alternatives (e.g. eCos) that don't even
require  you to purchase a book.  That said, it's a good book
and a good little OS.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Here I am at the flea
                                  at               market but nobody is buying

It

I think not.  Labrosse may be fine *if you already understand something
about RTOSs*,
otherwise not, speaking as one who tried to use it to learn about RTOSs from
scratch.

If you want to get a solid foundation on OS principles, a book like Comer's
"The Mount Xinu
Approach " is a better bet, in my view.

Dave Bardon, Avocet.

Re: want to learn RTOS
On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 15:00:56 -0400, "Avocet Systems, Inc"

Sheesh, I didn't know that Dr. Comer had yet another Xinu book out.

But I completely agree that Doug's books are probably the very best way to learn
about operating systems, if you are new to the subject.  Most operating system
books presume a teacher is there to help out or just dive in and cover all of a
range of broad subjects.  Even Tanenbaum's books, which get into some practical
details, are overburdened by the details of fabricating a fairly sophisticated
O/S.  In contract, Comer comes at things in surprisingly simple fashion and yet
with very useful results for many.  And it speaks well, I think, to those trying
this for the first time.

Jon

Re: want to learn RTOS

I don't think he does. There's no "mount xinu" book as far as I
can tell. The original Xinu book came out twenty years ago, and
(IIRC) about fifteen years ago it was revised and split into
two volumes.  It's been out of print for a long, long time, but
you can still get paperback on-demand laser-printed "facsimile"
versions for $90.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  With YOU, I can be
                                  at               MYSELF... We don't NEED

The original poster didn't mention they were new to OS principles. I'd not
recommend Labrousse's book for an OS novice. The original poster only mentioned
something on RTOS.

Re: want to learn RTOS
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.in says...

Try: http://www.freertos.org/implementation /

Re: want to learn RTOS
You could also try the RTEMS (free software):
    http://www.rtems.org
Best regards,
Jacek.

Re: want to learn RTOS
Yet another open-source RTOS
http://www.shift-right.com/xmk

Re: want to learn RTOS
On 19 Jul 2004 01:28:30 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.in (vishal)

For a good description of multi-threaded programming concepts used in
most RTOSes, try "Multi-C" from MiX software. It is written in a
tutorial style and includes full C Source for a Multi-threaded library
based on coroutines. (Cooperative multi tasking).
http://www.mixsoftware.com
(Tracing through an example  program using a source level debugger is
quite interesting)

Regards
   Anton Erasmus

Site Timeline