Visual Studio C++ to PIC - Page 2

Re: Visual Studio C++ to PIC

To me it is quite unclear what the OP actually wants to do.  I found
no hint that he actually wants to display the picture on an LCD of any
kind.  He could just as well plan to implement optical triggers or
motion detection.  He might want to only process parts of the image,
maybe even just a single pixel, and never output any pixel data at all.

I'm convinced that unless he gives greater insight into what he's
planning to do, nobody can point him to an efficient solution.

Currently the only useful advice can be:  given that his software
already works on the VC++ platform, he should stick to it, and
declare his project finished.  There are many small PC boards out
there, that can fit windows software into an "embedded" container.
http://www.bluechiptechnology.co.uk/product_group.php?group_id=3

Marc

[...]

This must be the first time I ever saw someone claim TIFF to be a
simpler image format than something else...  If you want simple, think
BMP or PBM.  TIFF is about the most complex image file format on the
planet.  It's actually so complex and diverse that some would deny it
having a right to call itself one file format --- it's more like an
entire family history of formats.

Re: Visual Studio C++ to PIC

I am a little unsure the reason why you need to run this on a small
processor like a PIC.  What is the reason you can't run it on a PC?

There are embedded processors such as ARM7 from several manufacturuers
that will support lots of memory and versions of C++ or versions of
Linux/GNU tools.  However the hardware may end up being  more
expensive that some of the low power PC platforms available, not to
mention the cost of development tools. If you are not deterred I
suggest to look at the following links:

http://www.iar.com/Products/?name=EWARM
http://www.ghs.com
http://www.uclinux.org

hope this helps.

regards,
Johnny

Re: Visual Studio C++ to PIC

First thing to do is check out www.piclist.com

You may be able to do what you want with one of the larger 18fxxxx pics
or the new dspics. Still wouldn't be as fast as one of the smaller arm
chips.

philips lpc2000 range follow the links from www.lpc2100.com

Compilers for pic

There are a few

htsoft
http://www.htsoft.com /

css
http://www.ccsinfo.com /

Fed
http://www.fored.co.uk /

c2c / picant / source boost ide
http://www.picant.com/c2c/c.html

 demo version of c compiler
HT software compiler
http://www.htsoft.com /
http://www.htsoft.com/downloads/download.php?product=PIC%20C
uses mplab as the ide.

free
jal - just another language
bit like pascal
http://jal.sourceforge.net/
lots of other links there
http://x.webring.com/hub?sid=&ring=jal&id=&hub

also check out the yahoo group,  very active
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jallist /

A good book is
Programming and Customising Robot Controllers
by Myke Predko
uses a 16f627 and c but most programs work fine on a 16f877
as does the latest version of the demo compiler
link above

http://www.beyondlogic.org/pic/ringtones.htm
uses compiler and phone ring tone file nokia rtttl
to play phone ring tones on the 16f877

http://www.microchipc.com /
lots of code exampkles and info on the
hightec c compiler for 16f87x