Virtual Registers

I have heard of many theories that use "Virtual Registers" to avoid pipeline stalling. Can anyone plz provide me link for documentaion of some implementation of this engineering?

Regards, Ripunjay Tripathi

Reply to
Ripunjay Tripathi

They are actually extra real hardware registers that are not part of the registers known to the programmer. A register known to the programmer can be mapped to one of the extra hardware registers to prevent stalls in cases where the dependencies will allow it. Search on register renaming. The method dates back to the 1970 mainframe era.

Reply to
Dennis