Video: DC Motor Basics

Normally it takes me a while to get a video out.  This one came to me and
practically pushed it's way out of my brain and into the camera.

I hope y'all like it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?vE9%zM07v1vWk

--
Tim Wescott
Re: Video: DC Motor Basics
   Your presentation is becoming more professional.
   Be careful..Hollywood may be watching...

Re: Video: DC Motor Basics

I like it, nice style and not too long. How did you do the graphic?

If ever you redo I thought a little more explanation of the
brushes/commutator switching action and reason for odd number of rotor
segments would answer the kind of question that a young mind leaps to.

I am going to show your video to my kid!

piglet

Re: Video: DC Motor Basics

Thank you.  Finding subjects that are a nice fit to a 15-20 minute video
is actually a bit of a chore.  90 minute lectures would be easier, but
far more tedious to watch.

The graphics were generated in Scilab.  Its graphics abilities are pretty
crude but it can do the math behind the motion simulation quite easily.
I just did it as stop-motion animation, generating still for each frame
in the video, then put it all together with ffmpeg.

I would like to do nicer-looking graphics in something like Blender, but
my experiences with that are that (A), it takes time to get things
looking good, (B), I'm never going to be much of an artist, (C), I'd have
to bend over backwards to either simulate stuff accurately in Blender, or
import position information, and (D), it's a rabbit hole into which I'm
afraid that I would jump, and then not come out of for a very very long
time.  So it'd be lots of time lost for not a lot of gain.

If it's a hit, there's a bazzilion "build your own motor" vids.  I was
considering doing that as part of the video, but I had the sense to check
first; both of the ones that I looked at were winners, so I figured I
didn't need to add anything.

(I did not check to see how many "this is how a motor works" videos there
might be -- I wanted to do this one regardless.)

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services