VFD Controller Renesas M66003 datasheet required.

Has anyone got a datasheet for this controller.

I'm capturing data from a DVR's front panel display, and want to write
my own messages to it, and perhaps decode what is going on.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Re: VFD Controller Renesas M66003 datasheet required.
You could just snoop the data that is being written to the controller?
How is it connected? Is it a parallel connection or is it a 2 wire
(probably I2C) connection!?

Re: VFD Controller Renesas M66003 datasheet required.
Hi,

you could just snoop the data that is being written to figure out how
it works. It is probably a simple command followed by data which you
can easily decipher. Is the connection a parallel bus or serial like
I2C?

Once you have the protocol you can then put your circuit as a
passthrough between the controller and whatever is writing data so you
can add your own messages to the stream.

-Rex

Re: VFD Controller Renesas M66003 datasheet required.

Thats exactly how i'm doing it. The data is 8 bit serial data in, clock
and !CS. I have already decoded some of the display 8 digit x 42
segment. There appears to be 112 bytes of data (~800 segments) more
than I'd have expected, which are regularly written to the display, I
noticed today that the last bytes to be written appear to be some form
of control, but wich I knew what.

It's not being driven as I'd expected, and you as suggested as a
Command then some Data, which is how other display controllers have
worked.

The reason for the datasheet, is to stop the guess work.

-Alec

Re: VFD Controller Renesas M66003 datasheet required.
I'm not sure if this will be of any help but have you looked at other
VFD controllers to see if they can give you some kind of hint as to the
command format? For example:
http://www.st.com/stonline/books/ascii/docs/10530.htm

Site Timeline