Vertically mounted IRDA Transceiver?

Not exactly rocket science but all the IRDA transceivers I've found are horizontally mounted where the tranducers are "in-line" to the board, and designed to be mounted at the PCB edge.

I need a transceiver where I can mount the device in the middle of a board where the transceiver points away, normal to the PCB. I don't really want to resort to use a prism to convert a board edge emitting device to a vertical emitting device.

Can anyone help?

Reply to
fred__bloggs

If you search for 'irda' on digikey, and select "IrDA Transceiver Modules (222 items)" then you get a parameter for Orientation that lets you pick Side or Top View.

Reply to
Arlet Ottens

Many thanks for your help. I was initially a little excited at the thought of a solution. However it seems DigiKey's idea of "Top View" isn't very different from any other view. I shall keep looking through their catalogue just in case they've got one right.

Many thanks again.

Reply to
fred__bloggs

the first device in the list appears to be in the wrong category. but the others seem to be what you are looking for.

does anybody still use irda?

alan nishioka

Reply to
Alan Nishioka

't

Well unfortunately I'm tasked with a job interfacing to an IRDA device!

I put in IRDA into digikey and get 222 results. I then tick "In stock" and "RoHS compliant" to get just 58 items.

Then select "Top view".

I've had a look at a range of Zilog and Sharp devices and they seem to be almost dual purpose, with as much copper up the side of the device as the bottom. It looks as if its going to be as good as I'm going to get.

Many thanks for you help.

Reply to
fred__bloggs

fred_ snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com schrieb:

You could have a look at the TFDU4101 from Vishay. It comes in a universal package that can be soldered horizontally as well as vertically. For series production, two types of carrier tape (with the chips inserted in the two directions) are available.

Tilmann

--
http://www.autometer.de - Elektronik nach Maß.
Reply to