Various CPU architecture overview

Hello all,

Is there a website or paper that decribes various CPU architectures (i.e. 80x86, 8051, MIPS, ARM...)?

I'm looking for pros & cons of various different architectures.

I'm planning on coding up my own CPU in VHDL and I want to do a little research before I pick and architecture.

Thanks,

Eric

Reply to
Eric

In Phil Koopmans book "Stack Computers, The New Wave" there is coverage of the various processor architectures with references. The book is on-line somewhere. Try

for it.

Paul E. Bennett ....................
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy .....
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: +44 (0)1235-811095
Going Forth Safely ....EBA. http://www.electric-boat-association.org.uk/********************************************************************
Reply to
Paul E. Bennett

The link is long, cut & paste if required.

Quark....

Reply to
quark01

Shouldn't you focus on the Soft CPU's that are optimised for FPGA usage, then ? [ unless you are not bothered by the final speed or resource usage.... ? ]

Things to look at are Opcode size, opcode reach, Opcode decode and register counts. Then there is system resource needs like DataSize, CodeSize and finally code access itself - something of an achilles heel of FPGA cpu design.

Lattice have open sourced their Mico8 offering, so that's a good starting point.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

"Eric" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Try to get the first edition of Hennessy / Patterson:

This is a basic reading which covers all aspects about computer architecture.

MIKE

Reply to
M.Randelzhofer

&srccode=&ref=&subcode=&head=&pdf=&basiccode=&txtSearch=&SearchField=&operator=&order=&community=mk>

Can I recommend this for posting long URLs?

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

Try this one for a start: