Using a smartphone as a development board

Newer phones will have standard USB OTG micro B jack, but that does not mean they will have multi-device host stack or hub drivers. Also, they are more like $499 than $99.

Reply to
linnix

Not cheap enough for a vending machine. A nice piece of hardware to be raided. Actually, any expensive component in unattended machine is dangerous. Our target board costs less than $10.

Reply to
linnix

I know that you can decrypt and spoof a GSM connection, but not a secured WiFi connection.

I think you are underestimating the safety of WiFi or overestimating the value of my informations.

Remember CC processation is a long way along (and won't run on battery or wireless).

I'm sorry I meant SSL / TSL. My bad.

I was thinking about SFTP (SSH Ftp) which is the protocol I'm using now.

I'm sorry, I explained myself poorly.

At the moment our merchant card service is a bank and we interface with them through SSL/TSL , using the Java software.

They process our data using internet packets.

Anyhow we changed our MCS in the past and will in the future, in order to obtain the best price.

There are state-sponsored counterfeit detection course, and we actively work with our national bank and the police force, as a vending company we are target of counterfeit artists.

I also found the official MDB tech manual, but it had no refers to converting RS232 to MDB. Maybe it's just that I need a crash course on serial ports, because I'm missing something fundamental.

Reply to
Nicola Calipari

I worked on a version of NCR (National Cash Register) multi-drop serial bus, but I don't remember the name. It is probably very close to MDB. In terms of hardware, you need a buffer circuit to isolate the transmitter on demand. The receivers can be shared. The host polls and engages the slave device one at a time. MDB can be programmed in standard UART hardware. I will probably learn more about this for my other customer.

Reply to
linnix

rst

PS: I would not want to program MDB in Java.

Reply to
linnix

To crack a GSM or UMTS data connection first decrypt the phone call then decrypt the data layer (your data, in IP packets, PPP, whatever), then decrypt the extra levels of encryption like SSL/TLS/Whatever. People have run PPP/SLIP in small PICs to modems.

Any connection by radio can be spoofed or relayed. You don't need a permanent connection, even arrange for all sorts of calls at irregular intervals to say I am still here at this GPS location.

The advantage of Machine to Machine is that it is effectively a dialup modem, not needing to be permanently powered up. Can be made to be outgoing calls only, so becomes more difficult to hack in, spoof etc.. Various rotating key algorithms exist to ensure each connection is valid.

Better still hard wired and physical security is better and often cheaper for running costs.

Wireless especially Wifi is so easy to corrupt block with easily available equipment over the counter.

Unless you can be sure you 100% isolate your remote monitoring a glitch, surge, overload can be fed back into the main system.

SSL/TLS works over an internet connection even dial up modems.

Which can be over any medium (hard wired, machine to machine data network - UMTS/GSM, Wifi - which ends up hard wired, or even disl-up modem).

I am sure you have a data centre that talks to the bank, to provide extra security and validity checks - like valid machine id and transaction type/limits.

I would expect the java sw to be being used at the data centre. Getting each machine to contact the MCS means continual unnecessary updates to the machine.

    PC Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul

Have you looked at the touchscreens yet?

has some with quite a bit of 'horsepower' attached. And they (likely versalogic and others as well) have 'evaluation units'/kits you can use to write and test code on before porting into the field hardware.

Seems to me, if you know you will migrate to to a screen anyway, now's a good time to begin.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

It would appear so. You would have to evaluate your code size and library requirements to see if your application would fit in the available resources on the board.

I note that the above board is a USB 1.1 board and not a USB 2 board. You will need to consider this when deciding how much data you need to move through the USB ports.

BTW, you may be able to setup a test environment using QEMU by emulating a similar class of board and constrain your available RAM and other resources to see how your application responds.

You would still have to deal with the issue of interfacing to your devices however if you try using a emulation environment like QEMU.

It appears to be a DC supply so, yes, W=V*A in this case.

If you read back through your messages, the theme was that you _were_ wanting to use a smartphone in a production capacity. Is this in fact not what you wanted to say ?

ARM7 class devices usually do not have a MMU and ARM9 class devices usually do.

(I say usually because although I don't know of any ARM7 class devices with a MMU, I would not rule out the possibility of such a device existing somewhere. :-) Likewise it's maybe possible that someone has produced something they call a ARM9 device, but with reduced or no MMU capabilities. Such a device, if it existed, would not be a ARM9 device in my view however.)

You can read through the manufacturer's datasheets to see the exact specifications for a specific CPU, including what MMU capabilities it has. Since running MMU-requiring code appears to be important to you, I strongly recommend you read through the datasheets, including the ones for the CPU, to see what capabilities your proposed board has _before_ you purchase it.

It has been my experience that reading the datasheets also reveals things like which combination of onboard capabilities cannot be used at the same time (which you may not have considered before purchase otherwise).

Since you are a newcomer to this, these types of issues could easily catch you out.

BTW, for those of us who use a compiled language and either write code to run on the bare metal or use a RTOS (my preferred choice is RTEMS), those simple CPUs tend to be more than sufficient for many jobs. :-)

Simon.

Simon Clubley

Imprecavo contro il nuovissimo ordinamento quando Nicola Calipari ha detto :

you said you're a security and cryptography expert, it should be pretty easy for you to understand what linnix is talking about.

--
N1 under...
ZX-6r '04 Cocci & Dolori
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
N1
[...]

Yes, there are the ARM720's I think, e.g. LH79520 which I have used.

I think the NXP LPC29xx series are like this.

Wikipedia has a good overview of all the cores.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Ok, I take that back. :-)

I've never seen a ARM9 stripped down like this before. Every single ARM9 class device I've come across or even read about has always had a MMU.

Until now, I've always considered it to be a part of the ARM9 architecture.

Simon.

Simon Clubley

I guess they thought a MMU is pretty useless in the more deeply embedded applications? I remember with the LH79520 I spent the first couple of days with it working out how to disable it (while leaving the cache enabled).

--

John Devereux
Reply to

ARM9 devices w/o MMU weren't uncommon a few years ago (e.g. ARM9TDMI ARM940, ARM946). I'm not aware of any vendors that currently ship ARM9 processors w/o MMUs.

That's a rather interesting statement. Why not?

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! ... or were you
                                  at               driving the PONTIAC that
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Grant Edwards

In one of the other postings, there's a reference to a NXP ARM9 series without a MMU which appears to be a current device.

Because although I had looked at a range of ARM9 processors over the years, I had never seen until today a ARM9 without a MMU and I had formed the impression that it was a basic part of the ARM9 architecture.

The impression therefore was that if the MMU was not part of a specific ARM9 processor, then that processor would be some kind of cut down CPU labelled as ARM9 for marketing purposes. After looking at the NXP line however that clearly is not the case.

Simon.

Simon Clubley

Yup. I had forgotten that the LPC29xx parts were ARM968 (no MMU). Last week I was looking at the LPC32xx parts, but they're ARM926EJ-S with an MMU.

Sometimes I think ARM has been intentionally obtuse with the confusing "architecture" vs. "version" naming schemes.

ARM7 is ARMv4

ARM9TDMI is also ARMv4

But ARM9E[J] is ARMv5

etc.

Right. There are at least 4 ARM9 varieties that never had MMUs:

ARM946 ARM966 ARM968 ARM940T

I think a couple of them have MPUs (940T and 946).

AFAIK, the 946 and 968 are both still considered "current" designs.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! RHAPSODY in Glue!
                                  at
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Grant Edwards

Have a look on Openmoko:

USB (with power), I2C, JTAG

Bonus:

*min. up to 16GB microSDHC card possibility *GSM, GPRS, wi-fi, 2*3D accelerometre, GPS *ARM based processor *Built-in UPS: 1,2Ah ;-)

Please note that Neo FreeRunner applications are mostly programmed in Python (and many in C or C++).

The Neo FreeRunner ARM platform might be interesting - also has GSM, GPRS.

It is also possible to buy an auxiliary debug-board.

More about Openmoko Neo Freerunner:

Quote: "...

  • Very high resolution touch screen (1.7" x 2.27" - 43mm x 58mm)
480x640 pixels
  • 128MB SDRAM memory
  • 256 MB integrated flash memory (expandable with microSD or microSDHC card)
  • uSD slot supporting up to 8GB SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity) cards (Supported microSD cards; installation) [
    ] [
    ]
  • Internal GPS module
  • Bluetooth
  • 802.11 b/g WiFi
  • 400Mhz ARM processor (Samsung 2442)
  • 2 3D accelerometers that orient the phone's screen -- for example, switching to landscape mode automatically
  • 2 LEDs illuminating the two buttons on the rim of the case (one bicolor [blue|orange] behind the power button, 1 unicolor [red] behind the aux button)
  • Tri-band GSM and GPRS
  • USB Host function with 500mA power, allowing you to power USB devices for short periods (will drain the FreeRunner battery faster) ..."

Neo FreeRunner CPU:

Quote: "...

  • Core: ARM920T
  • Instruction Set: ARMv4 ..."

GTA02 Hardware Component Selection:

CAD program (stp-format):

Schematics:

Quote: "... Versions: The Neo FreeRunner is available in two versions, one for the GSM bands of North America (850/1800/1900 Mhz), and one for the GSM bands in the rest of the world (900/1800/1900 Mhz). ..."

Neo FreeRunner is sold in two hardware revisions GTA06 and GTA07:

Neo FreeRunner can be bought many places - please inquire about the hardware revision and GSM bands you want:

-

( Later:

)

Reply to
Glenn

The LG VS740 beats this in most aspect, except for USB host.

VS740 GTA07 CPU 600MHz 400MHz Cell CDMA GSM Screen 600x800 480x640 Flash 512M 256M Ram 256M 128M USB Device Host

GPS/WiFi/uSD/accelerometers/etc are the same. Cell network is different, but the OP is not using it as a phone anyway. Linux 2.6 and Android 2.1 are open sources as well.

Reply to
linnix

Looky-Looky protects your privacy for all iPhones and offers additional sec urity to Apple?s fingerprint sensor ? catch the spy by photo evidence, protect your data from unauthorized access and detect, who is secretly snoo ping in your smartphone and reading e.g. messages or mails. So use Smartpho ne Snooping technology. Caught in the act! Visit:

danjones5677