Using a PIC microcontroller to interface with a DS1302 real time clock

I'm not sure if posting this is a good idea. The question is posted in
here, but I would like a second opinion to further help my moves on
the debugging process. Feel free to ask me for more information that
may help.

http://www.electro-tech-online.com/micro-controllers/35071-using-pic-microcontroller-interface-ds1302-real-time-clock.html

Re: Using a PIC microcontroller to interface with a DS1302 real time clock

Before starting with these kind of developments, it is better to do
some loopback check.
Check if you are able to connect the Tx and Rx and get the desired
output on the console.
I think , it should be problem with the Crystal connections .
Check if you use the proper capacitors at the necessary places as they
play a key role w.r.t clocks.
Cross-verify with the PIC (PIC18F2620) manual for the proper values .

Karthik Balaguru

Re: Using a PIC microcontroller to interface with a DS1302 real time clock
Though you would have got the info, i would like to clarify it as it
can mis-lead other newbies.
For doing the LoopBack check, you need to configure and use the serial
port.
It is not connecting the Tx and Rx alone without any software running
in the PIC.

Karthik Balaguru

Re: Using a PIC microcontroller to interface with a DS1302 real time clock

What do you mean using a loopback check? You mean on the
microcontroller or the RTC?

Site Timeline