Useless whinging about rude/clueless requests for help...

Regardless of whether academic skill is a good predictor of presidential accomplishments, academic skill is what is supposedly required to get a graduate degree from a major University. Even if "W" had great presidential accomplishments, I doubt many would argue he has the academic skills expected of one with a graduate degree from Harvard.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Are we on STRIKE yet?
                                  at

What initial degree?

AFAICT, all "Jr" has is an honorary degree. Bill Gates Sr. has both a BA and law degree from the University of Washington.

Correct. It's a measure of how much money the University wants from you.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I think my career
                                  at               is ruined!

I guess I'm lucky. The few I get are actually usually somewhat detailed and appear to be from people who have just gotten stuck on a particular point.

I do however get an occaisional request to provide quotes for chips. Something like

Dear Valued supplier

You show in your Web-Site the item: maxim

Please quote 215 pcs of MAX6650EUB+ D/C? L/T?

Please indicate the status of this item: new? refurbished? how many pcs you have...

Robert

Robert Adsett

I must admit I have never gotten requests like that.

I am, however, going to be able to retire as soon as I get my

10% cut from a large financial transaction involving an ex-government-official from Nigeria....
--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Am I elected yet?
                                  at

Well, that's self-evident.

However I do believe GWB earned his u/grad history degree (from Yale, in '68, with a 2.35/4.00 grade point average and not a single A). The Harvard MBA was awarded in '75, which seems to predate GWB being famous; he was merely rich at the time.

'Splain to me what value can be placed on academic "achievement" if a man can earn these two qualifications through canonical methods and yet still be virtually incoherent, narrow-minded and egotistical to the point of appearing mentally deficient.

Reply to
larwe

... snip ...

Well, an example of the relative utility of such connections, as compared to innate intelligence and ability.

-- "The French have no word for entrepreneur." - George W. Bush "Those who enter the country illegally violate the law." - George W. Bush in Tucson, Ariz., Nov. 28, 2005 "I hear the voices". - G W Bush, 2006-04-18

CBFalconer

It reflects very badly on the institute where he obtained his degrees.

/\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org      www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
Chris Hills

I suppose he wasn't "famous" in the Brittney Spears sense, but his fater had been in congress, an ambassador to the UN, cheif of something-or-other in the US mission to the RoC, chairman of the RNC, and was about to be appointed as director of the CIA. His grandfather was also a senator for 10 years. His great-grandfather was at one time president of the USGA. You've perhaps heard of the "Walker Cup"? Well that's what the "W" in GHWB and GWB stands for.

Frat boys like "W" don't have to learn anything to get degrees.

That was the point of the crack about him being an example of a "frat boy". An example of somebody with connections who is able to graduate with without actually learning anything or possessing any academic skills.

In many circles, frats are viewed as a way for the rich and connected to avoid actually learning anything or meeting anybody different than themselves while in college.