Use COM 9 on MAJIC EPI emulator

The application software only lists COM ports 1 and 2. I am using a USB adaptor for my serial COM port and it is on COM 9. How do I change some config file of the app to be able to talk via COM 9 of my laptop?

Thanks

Reply to
Dennis

Dennis wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@u2g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:

No can do. Looks like the Windows host version actually supports up to COM7, but that's it.

Why not use Ethernet? You can use a USB Ethernet adaptor on the PC if you need to.

- Fred

Reply to
Fred Viles

It seems unlikely that your laptop actually has 9 COM ports, so you can probably just delete old/unused COM ports and then change the USB device from COM9 to COM1 or COM2.

1) Open Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Environment variables. 2) Add "DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES" with the value 1. 3) Open Device Manager, click View -> Show hidden devices. 4) Expand Ports (COM & LPT) and uninstall old/unused COM ports. 5) Right-click your USB COM port device, select Properties -> Port settings -> Advanced and select another COM port number for it. You may have to restart after this.

Leo Havmøller.

Reply to
Leo Havmøller

I'm so glad you posted that - I've been battling with mystery COM ports for ages! I've got legacy software that refuses to believe that anything other than COM1 has been invented and on most new laptops (certainly Dells) COM1 is marked as in use (despite there being no physical port) and adding a USB serial port tends to appear in the 9's and 10's. It always seemed to work when I reassigned the port number so COM1 was shared with the mystery device but I was always sweating about when we would come a cropper.

Reply to
Tom Lucas