USB Questions

I 'm wanting to develop an application that will read these
USB memory sticks into an embedded controller. I'm assuming that the
"memory sticks" are formatted in  FAT16 or FAT 32.
What would be a good host controller to interface with say  PIC
microcontroller? I want to read/write text files to the memory
stick.

Thanks in advance.

?????

Re: USB Questions

None, really.  USB was designed with the idea that the USB Host at the
top of the chain is a powerful PC, not a simplistic embedded device.
You can't interface it to a PIC using just a controller/interface
circuit.

Nowadays, some embedded devices do manage to play the role of USB
master successfully (search this newsgroup to find some mentioned),
but something as small as a PIC most probably won't do.  About the
minimum you need is an upper-class 8051 device (Cygnal) or even a
16-bit controller.  Interfacing one of those to a PIC would be a case
of the tail wagging the dog.

Re: USB Questions
There are embedded host-side solutions for USB.  Try Cypress
semiconductor at

http://www.cypress.com

Look for USB host controllers.  Many of their USB chips have a RISC
type 8-bit CPU that you could use, or use the host controller as an
interface to your PIC.  I think Philips also has simmilar solutions,
but I'm not as familiar with them.

Implementing a USB host isn't exactly trivial, but a USB memory stick
is proabably a really good place to start with it's simple and
standard function.  I don't know what format the USB stick data is in,
but FAT is a good guess since most hosts can use them without any
special drivers. Good luck.

-J

Re: USB Questions
Microchip 16C765 or 16C745 with usb built in.

Site Timeline