usb NAND chip replacement?

i was wondering, would it be cool to replace a nand chip found in usb flash drives. I recently came upon a flash drive of mine and wanted to know if replacing nand chip is ok or practical; the original chip seems loose.

also how many pins do these chips have, i tried counting, to no avail.

Reply to
ben

Here is an excellen resource:

Reply to
larwe

Idiot. "I need to build a railway bridge, but I don't have any ice-cream sticks. Plus I don't know how to count".

Reply to
larwe

If you can't count the pins how do you expect to solder them? I'm not sure it's "cool" to replace the device but it is possible with the right equipment but I suspect it would be easier to find a couple of dollars (why do I get the impression you're American?) for a new flash drive.

Reply to
Tom Lucas

im actually canadian, but wat the hey! i doing this for knowledge to see if its possible; "curiosity killed the cat"

Reply to
ben

Yes, its easy to re-solder the loose chip. You just need a reflow soldering station for 10 minuties. You can rent ours for $10 a day, as long as you put in a $10 deposit 30 times. We can ship it to you for $10 each way. Actually, it might be cheaper to ship us the drive to fix it.

Reply to
linnix

"larwe" is an idiot.

Reply to
Victor

Wow. I've just been flamed by someone posting from yahoo.com. I guess that must be a really important someone whose opinion is valued here in comp.arch.embedded. I should go commit suicide right now, yes?

Moronic.

Reply to
larwe

LOL, u guys are funny as hell!

Reply to
ben

Good idea, i will supply u with a bridge, or do u plan to use a rope?

Reply to
ben

Start here:

Joe Random

Not even the infant ones.

--

+-------------------+ .:\:\:/:/:. | PLEASE DO NOT F :.:\:\:/:/:.: | FEED THE TROLLS | :=.' - - '.=: | | '=(\ 9 9 /)=' | Thank you, | ( (_) ) | Management | /`-vvv-'\ +-------------------+ / \ | | @@@ / /|,,,,,|\ \ | | @@@ /_// /^\ \\_\ @x@@x@ | | |/ WW( ( ) )WW \||||/ | | \| __\,,\ /,,/__ \||/ | | | jgs (______Y______) /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\//\/\\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ ==============================================================

fix (vb.): 1. to paper over, obscure, hide from public view; 2. to work around, in a way that produces unintended consequences that are worse than the original problem. Usage: "Windows ME fixes many of the shortcomings of Windows 98 SE". - Hutchison

Reply to
CBFalconer

Are you noticing a pattern here? When you ask a stupid question, you can expect a stupid answer. Most people in this group (including Lewin, a.k.a. larwe) are either professionals, or serious hobbiests. They told you that trying to change the flash chips on your USB flash disk is a daft idea, and to all intents and purposes, impossible for an amateur like yourself. It won't even satisfy your curiosity much.

If you want politer answers, then try posting more politely. That means reading this newsgroup for a little while to get the feel of the group, and following the unwritten style rules (which are actually pretty much standard Usenet rules). In case you are impatient (or a slow learner), this means writing in English, which as close to correct spelling and grammar as you can manage according to your language skills, but definitely with correct capitalisation, and no SMS pre-teen contractions. It also means being polite, especially to the group's experts, and learning to use the horrendous Google interface properly (or, preferably, using a real news server).

Reply to
David Brown

Op 28 Mar 2006 11:42:01 -0800 schreef ben:

You aren't Dutch, are you? So stop that silly u and use you!

--
Coos
Reply to

[...]

Hey Lewin, ever read Cryptonomicon? Stephenson has it pegged:

"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be -- or to be indistinguishable from -- self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."

Regards, -=Dave

--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.
Reply to

No, but I understand the principle you quoted. My posting was a slightly more verbose equivalent of:

*shrug*
Reply to
larwe