USB Microcontrollers, PIC or 8051 architecture

Hello,

Can someone please recommend some USB based microcontrollers using
MCS51 architecture, PIC would also do fine. What I am looking for is a
complete protocol implementation of USB2.0 in a micro with FIFO or
general readout support once data is transferred or received.

I want to use a micro controller for accessing the USB port which then
interfaces with an FPGA for data processing. Buying the USB core is one
option, but I am looking at alternatives to handle the USB core in some
dedicated hardware chip preferably a micro controller and then take the
data to FPGA.

Any other suggestions?

Thnx,

Mak

Re: USB Microcontrollers, PIC or 8051 architecture

"Mak> Can someone please recommend some USB based microcontrollers using

TUSB3410 / Series... 6210 and more...

Kasper

Re: USB Microcontrollers, PIC or 8051 architecture

Cypress Semiconductor has a few different choices.  8051 core, USB low, full
and highspeed available.

Rob

Re: USB Microcontrollers, PIC or 8051 architecture

Cypress have been doing 80C51-USB for years, and they have both
12Mb and 480Mb offerings.

If 12Mb is adequate, there are also offerings from Silabs - presently
16KF, with ADC etc, and ST's newest uPSD34xx family have >256KF, ADC,
and a small CPLD.

Philips also have USB-2.0 chips designed for FPGA connection.

-jg

Re: USB Microcontrollers, PIC or 8051 architecture

Have you looked at the FTDI series USB chips?  There is an article in
this month's Circuit Cellar about a USB solution with a parallel port
FIFO that uses a simple driver already developed for a Wintel box.

DLC

: Hello,

: Can someone please recommend some USB based microcontrollers using
: MCS51 architecture, PIC would also do fine. What I am looking for is a
: complete protocol implementation of USB2.0 in a micro with FIFO or
: general readout support once data is transferred or received.

: I want to use a micro controller for accessing the USB port which then
: interfaces with an FPGA for data processing. Buying the USB core is one
: option, but I am looking at alternatives to handle the USB core in some
: dedicated hardware chip preferably a micro controller and then take the
: data to FPGA.

: Any other suggestions?

: Thnx,

: Mak

* Dennis Clark         snipped-for-privacy@frii.com                www.techtoystoday.com   *
Re: USB Microcontrollers, PIC or 8051 architecture
You might want to consider the AT91SAM7S64.
ARM7TDMI @ 48 MHz.
64 kB Flash
16 kB SRAM
USB
Nice sync/async peripherals allowing very fast serial interface to FPGA.

The IAR C compiler is free of charge for C code up to 32 kB.
You can write the rest for data/Assembler.

If you really want an 8051, you can try the flash based AT89C5130/1/2

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson

The Cypress EZUSB chips (at least USB 1.1) have a pretty nice General
Purpose Interface (GPIF) which is tailored to interfacing with another bus
(FPGA). It's 16 bits wide with 5 input and 5 output control lines with
7-step programmable waveforms for implementing stuff like strobes & busy
signals that can be handled automagically by the processor.

The other advantage to using 8051-based is that you can use the free sdcc
compiler. I've done a few projects with this now.

|              Mark McDougall                | "Electrical Engineers do it
|  <http://members.iinet.net.au/~msmcdoug |   with less resistance!"

Re: USB Microcontrollers, PIC or 8051 architecture
http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller

Microchip has some new flash-based PICs for USB, which look interesting.
They have an ADC, UART, SPI and lots of I/O.

Leon
--
Leon Heller, G1HSM

Site Timeline