USB Host Overcurrent Protection

Hi I'm a new USB port designer. I am wondering that if my board do not need the USB host to supplier voltage through USB port. Should I need to supervise and protect the VBUS for overcurrent? Thanks!

linsky

Well if you aren't supplying VBUS then clearly you can't detect over current!

The USB 2.0 specification requires that a root port (i.e. host) must supply either one unit load (low power) or five unit loads (high power) (see 7.2.1). Externally powered hosts need to supply five or more unit loads.

So you should add over-current protection if you are making a USB host. Most (stand-alone) chips provide suitable inputs/outputs to manage this.

There are other considerations if you are developing an OTG host.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Jackson