USB host controller recomendation

Hi, I need to know which USB host controller chip will work with isochronous USB data transfer

Reply to
USB wcam

What sort of host interface do you have in mind? You need to give more information about your target system and requirements. For example, do you need high-speed (480Mbps) or full-speed (12Mbps)?

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Jackson

speed but at the end the host needs to work at full speed, the idea is make any high speed USB webcam to work at full speed

Reply to
USB wcam

The other question is what software are you going to use to control the chip. Writing a USB host stack is non trivial. An NXP ISP1761 is a reasonable chip that supports all types of endpoint for which a Linux driver is available.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Jackson

full

make

Microsoft* operating system at all

Reply to
USB wcam

So you will use a web camera to grab single frame or much reduced frame rate?

    PC Services
 Timing Diagram Font
  GNU H8 - compiler & Renesas H8/H8S/H8 Tiny
 For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul Carpenter

full

make

Microsoft* operating system at all

Reply to
USB wcam

Practically all such embedded devices have an operating system, embedded Linux, etc.

Reply to
larwe

You mean most of the ones you know... not all of them do. In fact most don't.

In any event you probably want something a lot smaller than Linux. Besides the GPL license may be prohibitive.

The first question is surely what is the hardware do you have now? What are you used to and what is the application domain?

Chris H

no

If you mean what I think you mean, then my only rational reply is "Bollocks". All of them have an operating system (or do you buy appliances with an SDK and roll your own?). I admit I could have listed a few more there but the point is that nobody with a quarter- share of sanity or more would handroll a proprietary RTOS and write his own USB host-side drivers. Life's too short, and there are just too many good sources of the requisite IP.

Reply to
larwe

system, =

The idea is that this hardware can be left outdoor, no human or computer interactions, that's needs to be embedded. What kinf od devices do you have in mind, please tell me make and model, thanks again

Reply to
USB wcam

full

make

That's right a will use the USB webcam to grab only one frame every certain time, do you have a maker and model. Thanks

Reply to
USB wcam

Any GOOD USB 2.0 web camera would do this ALREADY, without having to do anything else. I.E. the high speed USB 2.0 camera will only go as fast as the host/hub it is connected will allow. That is if the host or hub is USB 1.1 full speed (12Mbps), that is as fast as it will go.

If you need to force 12Mbps for USB loading on USB 2.0 because of other USB devices, get a USB 1.1 hub chip (I believe even

might still make one). Make your own or buy second hand USB 1.1 hub and put it between the host and web camera, it will be a small board.

I do not see why you need to put something in the middle as it won't help for the fact your frame rate will be much, much, much slower at full speed. It will take longer to transfer a single frame.

If you are trying to get the same high speed (480Mbps) frame rate, but run at full speed (12Mbps), you need a LOT of memory IN THE CAMERA, and only be able to do it for a short burst.

Well good luck making your own form of USB stack, however written it is still a USB stack as the enumeration and other paraphenalia has to still be done to negotiate with the camera.

    PC Services
 Timing Diagram Font
  GNU H8 - compiler & Renesas H8/H8S/H8 Tiny
 For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul Carpenter

There are lots of camera chips/sensors/modules/web cameras out there without knowing things like

Resolution pixels Resolution colour depth 8/16/24/32/36.. bits per pixel Minimum light level Maximum light level Temperature range

Note if you have said this is an OUTDOOR camera, then MOST of the web cameras are for INDOOR use and will fail due to temperature and moisture extremes.

I think beyond guessing, without knowing your FULL requirements areas of the world for manufacture and sale, let alone target pricing it would be impossible to suggest a camera.

Doing a full search as far as I am concerned is what everyone PAYS me to do.

I do not do work for people with only a hotmail email address as most are students or chancers when it comes to this sort of work.

    PC Services
 Timing Diagram Font
  GNU H8 - compiler & Renesas H8/H8S/H8 Tiny
 For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul Carpenter

full

make

Hi Mr Carperter, do you have any IDE about a maker and model of this USB host controllers

Reply to
USB wcam

full

make

Yes I will use the USB webcam to grab a single frame after certain time, do you have any make and model device to achieve this task.

Thanks

Reply to
USB wcam

Have tried google for "USB host controller"

Most will be PCI based Intel, Via.......

    PC Services
 Timing Diagram Font
  GNU H8 - compiler & Renesas H8/H8S/H8 Tiny
 For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul Carpenter

is

In micro world, PIC, AVR, Blackfin, etc.

We will have an AVR based prototype soon.

This is an usb host/device/otg interface module based on the Atmel at90usb647/1287 chip. All 28 i/o lines are routed to a dual row 0.1" header for quick connection to standard prototype boards.

Reply to
linnix

In message , linnix writes

(Don't use PIC)

Arm, cortex, 8051, coldfire in fact most now have USB and there are many stacks available that work without an RTOS.

Don't use Linux you don't need it.

Chris H

In message , Paul Carpenter writes

There are quite a lot of USB stacks that work without an RTOS.

Chris H