USB configuration EEPROM reader/writer utility?

Is there such a thing as a generic utility to read/write the whole
93C56 EEPROM on a USB device? I am sure the EEPROM contains the
USB/Driver IDs, but it also holds some device configuration info I
need to reset.

Re: USB configuration EEPROM reader/writer utility?

No. There isn't even any kind of guarantee that you CAN read/write it.
Desolder it, at least it's only a small package.

Re: USB configuration EEPROM reader/writer utility?

Well, it depends on the type of USB chip used. If you use the FT8U232 from
FTDI, you can read and write the eeprom with their eeprom tool.

Meindert

Re: USB configuration EEPROM reader/writer utility?
On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 08:23:01 +0100, "Meindert Sprang"

It is custom Toshiba chip in a PC peripheral. I need to get into the
settings to clear some settings I cannot otherwise clear with the
application software or the device itself.

To be precise, I am looking for a way to reset the waste ink counter
on a Canon i320 inkjet printer, that doesn't involve sending it away.
I would also like a way of non-destructively reading the entire EEPROM
from a working unit.

I downloaded the FTDI config software, and all it seems to do is set
the parameters particular to USB configuration and identification.

Re: USB configuration EEPROM reader/writer utility?

Well, you asked about the eeprom in a USB device and in that context, one
would assume that you want to read out the USB configuration data.
What you are trying to achive is not USB specific and that eeprom could be
controlled by any protocol the manufacturer wishes to use. No standards
here.

Meindert

Re: USB configuration EEPROM reader/writer utility?

There isn't necessarily a configuration EEPROM on the device. Some
USB targets (e.g. the Cypress CY365x) are entirely OTP. Others,
like the Anchor (now Cypress) EZUSB chips, can use an external
serial eeprom to store configuration, but are also capable of
running with no nonvolatile memory at all and having the configuration
and firmware downloaded at plugin time.

So it entirely depends on what USB device you're talking about.

The EZUSB chips do have a generic way to access the chip's memory
and registers from the host, though, so presumably you could read/write
their EEPROM (if any) that way.

--

Re: USB configuration EEPROM reader/writer utility?

There is an EEPROM there (plainly says 93C56), although, there is the
chance it is exclusively for the device's internal configuration, not
for USB identification and configuration

Site Timeline