USART microcontroller communication

Hello all,

Consider the atmega48 microcontroller by Atmel corp. I want to connects its USART to my PC. Basically i want the microcontroller to talk to to computer.

How can i do this?

  1. Using a serial port?

  1. Can a build my own PCI/ISA card for the pc so that it can read from the uC and send the data to the computer where other devices can use the information?

  2. Other options?

Thank you

Reply to
ahmed.sharifi

Yes. You need an electrical level translator between the serial port of the chip and the cable to the PC. A representative chip is Maxim MAX232 and its derivatives.

Too complicated.

None sensible, if the idea is to use the serial port of the controller.

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

Or with a few transistors.

Unnecessary.

Not serial, but parallel port would be cheaper and faster.

Reply to
linnix

ahmed, Now every microcontroller are having the pin connection and corresponding register for serial asynchronous communication (RS232), so you can happly use these facility for your application. But in between (PC - uC) you have to use some level converter (say MAX232), thats it.

Reply to
Tamilmaran S