uP guru needed - Athens, Georgia

I'm helping someone look for a good microprocessor assembly language
programmer (68HC11 preferred, or willing to learn it) and is in Athens,
Georgia, or willing to commute there at least twice a week.  The
candidate should preferably have a master's degree.

If interested or if you want to recommend a candidate, please e-mail:
m c @ u g a . e d u

Thanks!

Re: uP guru needed - Athens, Georgia

Master's degree? In what? Assembly language programming? What
universities confer such degrees? Putting a specialty degree
requirement into a job posting is pointless. Your project goals are
not specified so one cannot even guess what degrees might even apply.

Re: uP guru needed - Athens, Georgia

I agree that the desirable attributes are exceptionally vague, most
well-written job descriptions say what the application is so that they
can get somebody with experience not only in coding but also in what
the
device is actually supposed to do.  But very few job descriptions are
well-written!

Especially when working for an academic institution, and doubly so when
working for a state school, having the correct alphabet soup of
diplomas
becomes very important.  I suspect that the subject of the Master's
degree
is somewhat unimportant (maybe it could even be in English Lit, and
yes I know some embedded programmers with the background...) compared
to its existence.

Most extreme example of this getting in way of the hiring process:
I know a very famous nuclear physicist who was offered the job of being
department head at the University of Michigan, but the offer fell apart
when during the application process it came out that he didn't have
a high school diploma, a requisite for ALL state employees.
(He'd left high school to fight in WWII and immediately after went
into college under the GI Bill eventually getting
his PhD and a string of academic jobs, actually a rather
common situation for bright kids of that era.)

Tim.

Re: uP guru needed - Athens, Georgia

Notice the dot-edu address. The requirement is political.

Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting
Re: uP guru needed - Athens, Georgia
Maybe this is not a job directly with the university. It sounds like he
wants a private tutor. The master's degree requirement may be similar
to a "blue blood" requirement: Nobody less that this stature would be
worthy of tutoring me.

I agree that the subject of the degree is probably moot.

Re: uP guru needed - Athens, Georgia

I was once taught a Masters of Information Sciences course at a local
college (after several semesters of teaching undergrad Comp Sci).  I asked
the dean if I got the degree after I tought all the courses.  He was not
amused.  Stuck-up pricks, academics.

  Keith

Re: uP guru needed - Athens, Georgia

   I'm probably a two or hours' drive away (I'm northwest Ga, verses
Athens in northeast), and qualify for the rest. It's been a few years
since I did HC11 but I remember it as being a good 8-bitter, a rather
nice architecture for its age.

   No, I don't have a Master's. I didn't stay in college quite that
long. But it only says preferably, maybe I still have a chance.

   Hmm, maybe I should, even though "HC11 Assembly" seems to have
about as much future as FORTRAN...

   I think the others nailed it. Athens, Ga just screams University of
Georgia. There might be some tech companies there, but other than UGA
itself I think the major industry is partying-related (college
football of course, and I understand there's quite a good "bars &
bands" music scene: R.E.M. and B52's started in Athens).

Site Timeline