Univeristy of Massachusetts Lowell/Analog Devices Inc. Design Competition - Call for Participants

2005 UML ? ADI First Regional Contest

April 2, 2005

Hosted by: University of Massachusetts Lowell

Sponsored by: Analog Devices and UMASS Lowell

The Design of a SHARC-Based Assistive Listening Device

The full description of the competition, prizes, logistics, etc, is available at

Dr. Adam J. Elbirt Electrical and Computer Engineering Department University of Massachusetts Lowell

Reply to
Adam Elbirt

May I encourage one and all to encourage/sponsor contests such as this!

Adam Elbirt wrote:

Reply to
Richard Owlett

Ah, me ol' alma mater. It was Lowell Technological Institute (A.K.A. the poor man's MIT) when I was an E.E. frosh, a bit later was renamed University of Lowell. I don't recognize Dr. Elbirt. Maybe he was still in training pants when I was there? Are we feeling old yet? :-O

Reply to
Michael

Actually I have been at Lowell for three years now. We had a large turnover in the department after an early retirement package was put out (we lost 1/3 of our faculty).

Adam

Michael wrote:

Reply to
Adam Elbirt

Hi, Adam! I assume you were referring to E.E. Dept. Really too bad about the faculty losses; most of my E.E. profs. had earned my respect (and gratitude) by the time I graduated. Prof. Martin Patt, in particular. I credit him with getting me through "Complex Variables For Engineers" with a (relatively) easy AB ... during a *summer* semester, no less. Is Prof. Laste still around? We called him "Fast Laste" because he always dashed across a blackboard at warp speed; listen up or perish!

Reply to
Michael

I was definately referring to the ECE Dept - unfortunately both Profs. are no longer with the Department. We have seven new faculty that have been hired over the past 2.5 years so it is definately exciting :)

Adam

Michael wrote:

Reply to
Adam Elbirt

So I guess it would be too much to hope that Bob Dirkman still teaches. Of my favorites, he definitely was #1. Had him for everything from fundamentals through linear feedback systems, and I worked for him as a t.a. for a couple semesters. Great guy; wonderful teacher.

Michael

Reply to
Michael

have