Univeristy of Massachusetts Lowell/Analog Devices Inc. Design Competition - Call for Parti...

2005 UML ADI First Regional Contest

April 2, 2005

Hosted by: University of Massachusetts Lowell

Sponsored by: Analog Devices and UMASS Lowell

The Design of a SHARC-Based Assistive Listening Device

The full description of the competition, prizes, logistics, etc, is
available at http://faculty.uml.edu/Mufeed_Mahd/UML_ADI/UML_ADI_v31.pdf

Dr. Adam J. Elbirt
Electrical and Computer Engineering Department
University of Massachusetts Lowell

Re: Univeristy of Massachusetts Lowell/Analog Devices Inc. Design Competition - Call for Participants
May I encourage one and all to encourage/sponsor contests such as this!

Re: Univeristy of Massachusetts Lowell/Analog Devices Inc. Design Competition- Call for Participants

Ah, me ol' alma mater.  It was Lowell Technological Institute (A.K.A.
the poor man's MIT) when I was an E.E. frosh, a bit later was renamed
University of Lowell.  I don't recognize Dr. Elbirt.  Maybe he was still
in training pants when I was there?  Are we feeling old yet?  :-O

Re: Univeristy of Massachusetts Lowell/Analog Devices Inc. Design Competition- Call for Participants
Actually I have been at Lowell for three years now.  We had a large
turnover in the department after an early retirement package was put out
(we lost 1/3 of our faculty).

Adam

Re: Univeristy of Massachusetts Lowell/Analog Devices Inc. DesignCompetition- Call for Participants

Hi, Adam!  I assume you were referring to E.E. Dept.  Really too bad
about the faculty losses; most of my E.E. profs. had earned my respect
(and gratitude) by the time I graduated. Prof. Martin Patt, in
particular.  I credit him with getting me through "Complex Variables For
Engineers" with a (relatively) easy AB ... during a *summer* semester,
no less.  Is Prof. Laste still around?  We called him "Fast Laste"
because he always dashed across a blackboard at warp speed; listen up or
perish!

Re: Univeristy of Massachusetts Lowell/Analog Devices Inc. DesignCompetition- Call for Participants
I was definately referring to the ECE Dept - unfortunately both Profs.
are no longer with the Department.  We have seven new faculty that have
been hired over the past 2.5 years so it is definately exciting :)

Adam

Re: Univeristy of Massachusetts Lowell/Analog Devices Inc. DesignCompetition-Call for Participants

So I guess it would be too much to hope that Bob Dirkman still teaches.
Of my favorites, he definitely was #1.  Had him for everything from
fundamentals through linear feedback systems, and I worked for him as a
t.a. for a couple semesters.  Great guy; wonderful teacher.

Michael

Re: Univeristy of Massachusetts Lowell/Analog Devices Inc. DesignCompetition-Call for Participants

have
teaches.

Definately(sic)!

Re: Univeristy of Massachusetts Lowell/Analog Devices Inc. DesignCompetition-Call for Participants
Yes he is gone too.

Adam