undocumented PIC16 opcodes

Yes... it's a way of learning something about how the PIC works, and also (perhaps) of distinguishing different versions of the same chip.

Reply to
mc

Familiar 68HC11 phenomenon. I got it once by accidentally assembling an 'HC11 program with an 'HC12 assembler. Same assembly language, different opcodes!

Reply to
mc

Come to think of it, how are you going to find out what they do? How much of the state of a PIC can you read out?

Reply to
mc

:

I used to work with a bloke that worked on the first PIC when it was still a TTL breadboard. I dont remember him ever telling me about undocumented opcodes.

Reply to
Marra

Some of the PIC16 series (later/more powerful chips) have IS debugging hardware on-chip which will allow you to read out the current state. Of course that doesn't directly tell you what the instruction did...

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

This is why some flight control computers have exra circuits to detect invalid opcodes being presented to the cpu, and cause a power down type reset to keep the cpu working (sort of). Only discovered by chance, but confirmed by manufacturer as test opcode causing cpu to go into endless (ignoring non-maskable interrupt) loop cycling address bus. Neil

Reply to
Neil

In the 1970's, practically any microcoded minicomputer had the concept of reserved instruction trap.

The PDP-11/70 mini was used for routing airline traffic long after the "best before" date of that system, since the replacements failed miserably :-).

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keinanen