UML Diagranming Tool Recommendations

Does anybody in this group recommend any good diagramming tool for UML (Unified Modelling Language)? I have tried Smartdraw and it looks OK. MS Word, although no extra cost, is pretty clunky when things need to be moved and re-arranged. I am looking at something dedicated to UML that does not contain capability for floor plans and other un-related things.

I know there are some packages for several thousand that do all kinds of things but they do more than I want and are completely out of my price range. I am willing to spend $100-200 or so for a package that is good - good at just drawing and maintaining the various UML diagrams. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Lou

Reply to
Mr. C

If all you want is an UML drawing tool, without any code generation, analysis, etc. capabilities, any good vector drawing program that allows you to define shapes as "blocks" or "templates" should be OK. Microsoft's Visio comes with a set of predefined UML symbols. Any low-end CAD system (Autosketch, Turbocad, Quickcad, etc.) should also be usable for this purpose.

For something beyond that, check

Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group, ] [ return address is invalid. ]
Reply to
Roberto Waltman

Don't know if this will help

darkknight

Try eclipse

Reply to
Tolga Onbay

This query is more suited to comp.object.

ArgoUML is a freeware UML tool that might work for you.

-- EventStudio System Designer 2.5 -

Sequence Diagram Based Real-time and Embedded System Design Tool

Reply to
EventHelix.com

I use Enterprise Architect. It's pitched towards IT but I've used it successfully in embedded work. It does more than you want, including code generation (class framework only) to Java and C++ (among others), and the associated "reverse engineering", which is very good for generating diagrams from existing C++ code. It can also work with common revision control systems and - most importantly - is in your quoted price range.

The link is:

-- Peter Bushell

Peter Bushell

Take a look to

regards Martin

Reply to
Martin Kaul

Just to add another one to the list: ProxyDesigner -

Nice freeware thingie, has some quirks but works really fine most of the time.

// Erik N=E4slund

Reply to
eKIK

Umbrello

Regards Heinz

Reply to
Heinz-Jürgen Oertel

Mr. C schrieb:

Maybe the Cadifra UML Editor could be something for you. Its a small and simple tool to draw UML diagrams. See

The tool does not generate code.

There is fully functional free evaluation version (no time limit) available:

Dave

Reply to
David Schmider

Try Ontology

Hope this may help you. ITs a open source

Sagar

Reply to
Sagar

Contrary to widespread misconceptions, you don't need expensive desig automation tools to apply UML. Such tools typically come with a drawin package to create various diagrams. In fact, most of the tools, if the are used at all, end up as overpriced drawing packages. To this end, good drawing program does as much for you as a fancy CASE tool.

Visio (now Microsoft Visio) is one of such drawing programs that shoul satisfy most of your UML drawing needs. To use Visio effectively for UML you need to have "UML stencils", which are sets of graphic objects tha you can use in your drawings. A few examples of good Visio UML resource are:

Pavel Hruby offers Visio Stencil and Template for UML 2.0 for variou versions of Microsoft Visio

Allen Holub offers Visio stencils as well as UML Quick Reference in hi goody bag

Visio Cafe lists a lot of resources and links related to Visi

Finally, Quantum Leaps website offers a simple UML Visio stencil and th whole lightweight method to turn UML state machine to efficient an maintainable C or C++ code without heavyweight tool

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP) program website has whol section devoted to Visio?.

Reply to
miro

Argo UML is far much completer and costs less (=FREE)

Stef Mientki

Reply to
Stef Mientki