Ultrasonic Sensor

Hi,

I am trying to build an ultrasonic sensor module to detect and measure the distance of an object, and got some problem :-)

Problem:

  1. Not sure whether the transmitter send sound or not.
  2. Not sure, Receiver work properly or not.
  3. Circuit and code was not tested.

The configuration of my board is:

a) AT89C52. Microcontroller. b) XTL freq. 11.0592 mhz. b) 40 KHz ultrasonic transmitter and receiver. c) +5V to 0 (ground) power supply. (I am trying to follow the book of mazidi)

Please suggest me on that on that issue. (I am thankful on this group because I am getting so much help from this group to as the problem of serial communication, As a newcomer in embedded it was a really hard problem).

Reply to
Dibyendu

Please advice me some chapter, and some link that i can read and build the correct circuit and correct code for Ultrasonic compatible with the AT89C52 Microcontroller.

Reply to
Dibyendu

Is the transmitter and receiver a pair of devices or just a single TX/RX unit?

If they are a pair you may need to check that you are using the transmitter for transmitting and the receiver for receiving.

You should also try and do one bit at a time. This link:-

may help you. If you build just the interface portions you should be able to see if they are working by scoping around the pins.

Once you have working TX and RX circuits you can then add the micro and software and work on what ails those.

Paul E. Bennett ....................
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy .....
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: +44 (0)1235-811095
Paul E. Bennett

Not being acquainted with the teachings of mazidi (although, if he's anything like Ly Tin Wheedle, I'm sure you're on the right track following his book)and based on the information you've given here, I can positively state the following:

a) Choice of microcontroller is not the cause of your problems. I have used this controller myself and can vouch for it. b) the frequency of 11.0592MHz is also not the cause of your problems. It's a tried and tested frequency and a lot of people are using it. c) 5V is a great voltage! Don't let anyone try to convince you otherwise.

You might be spot on here, though. Why don't you try testing the circuit? Hopefully there's no "Thou shalt not use a scope" in the book of mazidi.

Reply to
Viktor

Such modules exist. Even if you want to build build one you can develop your software with the already tested ones. Later on, you can use the tested software to build a module on your own.

runner

Hi Bennett I am starting to the PDF file from your given link.

keep in tuch

Reply to
Dibyendu

Hello Victor, I also find that there is nothing about Ultrasonic in the books of mazidi. But I know very little about External hardware interfacing. I think Understanding of this chapter vary important to understand and build Ultrasonic Sensor interface with microcontroler. plz send me your comment.

Reply to
Dibyendu

Hi Runner, I had find the link. and seen that there are some great product on Ultrasonic. But is not it possible to build one by my own? please help.

Reply to
Dibyendu

Hello I just had a rough look on the document. It is understandable, and going to implement it soon (at the time of implementation i must read this document again) :-)

Reply to
Dibyendu

Here's a DIY example:

i guess it takes some experience to make those system work as expected.

Reply to
runner
[%X]

[%X]

You could still use your original processor with the interaces described in that document. Just make sure that you understand what the interfaces do for you first before worrying about the processor and its software.

Paul E. Bennett ....................
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy .....
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: +44 (0)1235-811095
Paul E. Bennett

If I remember correctly, there was an ultrasonic range-finder project in a rather old edition of Elektor. (Early 1980s?) Try searching for this. You might find a scanned version of this article.

Viktor

Reply to
Viktor

Has anyone mentioned the Circuit Cellar Jan 2003 article?

Reply to
Paul Burke

I belive this is the one:

Thanks,

Adam.

Reply to
Adam Craggs

Hi, I have built the ultrasonic sensor ranger with the help of "2002MAR08_RFD_DA_AN.PDF" but it is not working.

Explanation of the sensor:

Base on the availability of the component I choose,

( I )

  1. ICM7555 instead of TLC555
  2. CA3130 instead of CA5160 and
  3. LM567.
  4. PIEZO ULTRASONIC SENSOR: Module T40-1601 R40-1601, Center Frequency:
40.0khz, with 1.0 khz variation. Etc.

( I I )

  1. Since the reset pin is remain high after given power on transmitter module, I am adding 10k resistance between ground and reset pin.

  1. At 5 volt supply [after step ( I I ) . 1 ] to the reset pin, it is generating ultrasonic sound. (Test cond: make CT capacitor value dauble of the transmitter, now this will generate nearly 20khz frequency. This range can be tested on multimeter audible frequency tester.)

( I I I )

Nothing happed on receiving end.

Please take look in this issue, and tell me the possible way to solve it.

Thanks

Dibyendu

Reply to
Dibyendu