Ultra Small devices LPC900 from Philips 3x3x0.85 mm3

just saw a press release from Philips, announcing 2 small devices same
size as the Sylabs but less functionality, so I expect them to be less
expensive.
The press release is here:

Unfortunately I could not find documentation for the devices on the
Philips website but a Users Manual was already posted on that User
Group in the files section.

With max 14.7 MHz running from internal and having a 2-clock core,
these tiny micros are second only to Sylabs in performance (>7 MIPS!).
Curious what the price might be. Definitely has to be below $1 because
that is a price point that Sylabs has already set.

According to the press release the target seems to be PIC10!?  A little
odd if you ask me because PIC10 has a lot less of everything and I
guess that pricing of the PIC10 is also lower than that of the Philips
devices. But heck, PIC10 with leads is bigger than this package and ...
who knows..

An Schwob in USA

Re: Ultra Small devices LPC900 from Philips 3x3x0.85 mm3

Try
http://www.philipssemiconductors.com/pip/P89LPC9107FDH.html

I cannot see that in
http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/news/content/file_1122.html

Do you have another press release ?

The LPC910x are impressive resource/mm2, but the PIC10xx are in SOT23
style which cannot accept as large a die, but is a cheaper package.
[smaller die + cheaper package => cheaper (& dumber) device ]

Personally, a 3mm package with 10 pins is a lot more usefull than
a 3mm package with 6 leads.

The SiLabs devices have larger code options, up to 8K, and have
the CalOsc only on the larger models, so the Philips LPC9xx
slot in below these.

Final price will be interesting - their older LPC9xx were 70-80c
-jg

Re: Ultra Small devices LPC900 from Philips 3x3x0.85 mm3
Hello Schwob,

But they aren't 16 bit like the MSP. If they come out significantly
below $1 that would be a bargain though, considering the 8bit ADC/DAC
being included. That resolution may not sound like something to write
home about but it is enough for many bare bones apps.

So, are you from Schwaben in Germany? We just had a real treat, genuine
hand made Spaetzle that friends of ours created. Meaning I did not lose
weight last week...

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Re: Ultra Small devices LPC900 from Philips 3x3x0.85 mm3
Hi Joerg,

yes I am from Schwaben, Stuttgart, somewhat "stranded" in California,
not too bad though;-)
btw. I agree with your comment about the MSP having more processing
power and some other benefits but with 1k FLASH with EEPROM
functionality, 8-bit ADC and even a UART, I think many small
applications can be done. This seems to be an ideal "Slave processor"
assisting a larger CPU with minimal external components and very low
power.

Gruss, Schwob

MIPS!).
because

genuine
lose

Re: Ultra Small devices LPC900 from Philips 3x3x0.85 mm3

first mention I have seen of price says this:

quantities of 10,000,
 > are both priced at 87 cents. The price could fall to as low as 60
cents in volumes of a million pieces.

Which is quite good, given the state of the $US, and the
ADC/DAC/UART/Comp/CalOsc included.

-jg

Re: Ultra Small devices LPC900 from Philips 3x3x0.85 mm3
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the info. This should put some pressure on the market. I
could move a few designs to a uC architecture if they dipped to well
under $1.

I/O features are often more important than processing horsepower and it
seems that companies are beginning to embrace that thought. TI is coming
out with their 430F2x series that finally has internal pull up/down and,
yeehaa, muxed comparator inputs. Just as I had this on my Santa wish
list they announced it.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Re: Ultra Small devices LPC900 from Philips 3x3x0.85 mm3

Sub dollar micros have been available for a long time.  You just have to buy
enough to make it worth their while.

Ian

--
Ian Bell

Re: Ultra Small devices LPC900 from Philips 3x3x0.85 mm3
Hi Ian,

Yes, they have. However, when you need a little ADC capability in there,
enough IO port pins for a user interface and all that in a micro power
application then it's slim pickings.

A friend once told me that he can only use four-bitters of the no-frills
kind, no comparator, no mayo, no ketchup, nothing. But they cost only a
couple of dimes.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Re: Ultra Small devices LPC900 from Philips 3x3x0.85 mm3

That's a tough combination allright.  I was involved in a domestic CO
detector development that needed the micropower and ADC but the only user
interface was one button and one LED.  The micro in that one was well below
one dollar.

I was also involved in an electronic label printer development.  That needed
the ADC, dot matrix LCD and keyboard interfaces but not the micropower.
The complete BOM for the entire product, including micro, LCD, print head,
keyboard, casework and packaging was USD8.

Ian

--
Ian Bell

Site Timeline