uC or standalone SPI slave with 25 MHz ? (Receiver only would be enough)

Hello,

is there any uC or standalone controller which can receive SPI data with 25 MBit/s ? I need this for a SDIO tracer (acting like a SPI slave), which is sending 6 bytes each time. I saw different implementation for SPI in an FPGA, is there one which is working / preferable ? A small FIFO for the 48 bit packets would be nice. I know there are tracers which can be bought, but for a hobby project they are too expensive...

Regards,

Martin

Reply to
Martin Maurer

Sorry, wrong interface: Replace SPI by SD mode (1 bit / 4 bit interface) !

Regards,

Martn

Reply to
Martin Maurer

Martin,

if the SPI mode is still an option, the LPC2103 would do a great job using the SSP option including your buffer you wanted. 4-bit parallel would be slower though because that device does not have the dedicated SD interface.

An Schwob

Mart> Sorry, wrong interface: Replace SPI by SD mode (1 bit / 4 bit interface) !

Reply to
An Schwob in the USA

Sounds like a CPLD problem, something like the MachXO from lattice ?

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Hello,

first many thanks for your answer !

According to the UserManual of LPC2103 (prel. 2. dec. 2005), on page 177f is the description of the

SSP Clock Prescale Register (SSPCPSR - 0xE006 8010). Important: the SSPCPSR value must be properly initialized or the SSP controller will not be able to transmit data correctly. In case of an SSP operating in the master mode, the CPSDVSRmin = 2, while in case of the slave mode CPSDVSRmin = 12.

So the maximum frequency in slave mode seems to be 70 MHz / 12 = 5,8 MHz. This is unfortunately far away from my requirement... The older ones like the LPC2148, can only be used with 60 MHz.

Regards,

Martin

Reply to
Martin Maurer
1 any CPLD would do 2 its better to use small FPGA that support on chip logic analyzer :)

I have made a small break outboard from SD card to GOP module pictures here

but you can use any other FPGA

Antti

hm i have some problems implementing MMC memory card slave, my FPGA is recognized as media by WinXP, but when i try to write it says write protected :(, well I am not doing any tracing, so it may be that I also need to implement the SD protocol tracer

Reply to
Antti

I'd suggest getting a cheap Xilinx Spartan-3 eval board. S3 has plenty of RAM on board, and it's dual-port, so VERY easy to use for acquisition buffers etc. for this type of thing, as the read and write processes have their own individual ports and clocks. Also this task is sufficiently simple that it will use a tiny proportion of the chip, and you don't need to worry about timing as the chip is 10x faster than you need. These 2 factors mean you don't need to spend time doing simulation etc., as the compile

-debug-recompile time is fast (~30 secs) , and you don't need to worry about timing analysis as it will be fast enough with time to spare.

Reply to
Mike Harrison