UART x3

I am looking for an PIC with three UART ports if such a thing exists. have two UART inputs and I want to output a single UART output. I've see plenty of ICs with 2 UART ports, but I have yet to find one with three. typically use microchip ICs, but I am open to any brand as long as i would do the trick and has a good C compiler.

How would a situation like this be handled in modern electronics? I am student and we typically would solve something like this with a MUX However, 1) it seems pretty "primitve" for today's electronics - are thes still used? and 2) I would like to use all three UART ports at the sam time.

I was thinking of two ICs, but with only 2 UARTs that wouldn't solve th problem. The only other idea I could come up with would be to have an I to store the data from each UART input to a memory IC. A third IC woul then read/write from the shared memory and output a single UART output.

Is there anything simple that would solve my problem? I am a software gu and am not very good with hardware. Any advice or even google search word would be appreciated. Thanks for the help.

Reply to
jonathan03

If the bitrate isn't too high, you could bitbang one of the UARTs. The output would be the easiest. You can use a timer interrupt programmed at the exact length of a bit, and keep a small state machine to sequentially write the bits.

Reply to
Arlet

Atmel AVR ATMega 640/1280/2560 has four hardware UARTs. The programming architecture is much more straigghtforward and C friendly than the PIC's with their crippled architecture. A decent gcc port does exist, and there are also some good commercial tools (Imagecraft, Codevision, IAR (expensive!!!)).

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Frank-Christian Krügel

Reply to
Frank-Christian Kruegel

If the baudrate is sensible, and depending on other interrupt activity, a soft UART is easy enough, especially for TX only. Creative use of a timer compare output might also be possible if interrupt jitter is a problem.

.
Reply to
Mike Harrison

As I read this, you are saying that two of your serial signals are receive-only, while the third is transmit-only.

Can you not use UART1 to receive one receive only signal and send the transmit-only signal, and use UART2 to receive the second receive-only signal?

On most UARTs that I've used, the transmit and receive sections are independent, except for baud rate.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca