UART commn using parallel port

I am programming the ATMEGA128 using the parallel port of my PC. The pins
from the programmer go to the UART RX / TX of the MCU for downloading the
program. I want to send debug info from the MCU to the PC using the same
UART. I have code with me to send data using this UART .
--The question is that is there a way that the PC can intepret this data and
display it correctly. I am using redhat 9.
-- How do i do this? Is there some terminal software for linux.
-- *Is it at all possible that the parallel port can recieve data from the
UART of the ATMEGA128 ? *
Thanks for ure time

Re: UART commn using parallel port

What the parallel port, for Pete's sake?  The serial port should have
been by far the more obvious choice, and easier to use, too --- just
run a terminal program like good old Kermit and *see* what comes out
of that port, without any hassles.

Re: UART commn using parallel port

Perhaps because the ISP protocol is synchronous?

Re: UART commn using parallel port

Add some circuitry to switch between using the parallel port for
downloading and a RS232 buffer connected to the standard serial
port. Writing a software UART device that can be used with software
expecting to talk via a UART would be far to much work for very little
advantage.

Regards
   Anton Erasmus

Site Timeline