UART commn using parallel port

I am programming the ATMEGA128 using the parallel port of my PC. The pins from the programmer go to the UART RX / TX of the MCU for downloading the program. I want to send debug info from the MCU to the PC using the same UART. I have code with me to send data using this UART .

--The question is that is there a way that the PC can intepret this data and display it correctly. I am using redhat 9.

-- How do i do this? Is there some terminal software for linux.

-- *Is it at all possible that the parallel port can recieve data from the UART of the ATMEGA128 ? * Thanks for ure time

Reply to
harshit

What the parallel port, for Pete's sake? The serial port should have been by far the more obvious choice, and easier to use, too --- just run a terminal program like good old Kermit and *see* what comes out of that port, without any hassles.

Hans-Bernhard Broeker

Perhaps because the ISP protocol is synchronous?

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

Add some circuitry to switch between using the parallel port for downloading and a RS232 buffer connected to the standard serial port. Writing a software UART device that can be used with software expecting to talk via a UART would be far to much work for very little advantage.

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus