types of processor

hi guys,

i am new to this group, can any one tell me how the microprocessors can be classified into different groups or simply what are the different types of processors.

sorry its a newbee question.

thanks in advance

Reply to
shari

The processors are classified in the following categories:

  1. < 50c.
  2. ~ 1$
  3. ~ ..5
  4. ~
  5. ~
  6. ~ 0
  7. > 0

Within each category, the available set of features is pretty much the same.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant

Vladimir Vassilevsky

There are three major catagories: Harvard Architecture, von Neumann Architecture, and Intel Abortions.

Wikipedia will tell you about the first two.

John

LOL!

Reply to
Rube Bumpkin

Big/Little

Low Power/High Power

Floating Point/Fixed Point/No Point

Square/Rectangular

DIP/PLCC/BGA/Other? Sorry, can't remember any more

Current/Old

Take your pick...

RB

Reply to
Rube Bumpkin

ARM is generic MCU / CPU / SoC .

It outperforms all others at a very low price and many

countries make it , thus competition is extreme .

This is the first time in history , when a CPU has

this extreme competition .. No one can stop it .

Thus it will also obsolete much software ..

ARM is much easier to work with , since it has a loader that tests many places for input .

So if it fails , it simply boots from another source !

If your ARM920 box fails to boot , you simply

attach a old "terminal" to it and w/o any work at all ,

it signs on to the terminal !! If no terminal , then

it can auto-detect WXP and you can continue to

work on your ARM PC , while you figure how to

repair the original h/w failure ..

The smaller 1/2 speed ARM -7 has less memory .

the smallest "7's" only have internal mem .

But some 7's have 1/2 MB of internal Flash !

ARM will replace ever mcu . there are now

2 000 000 000 ARMs in everything from

coffee pots to printers to game boxes , to 20 "LCDs

It will bankrupt MicroChip "pic" , Intel Pentium ,

Hewlett Packard , MicroSoft ,

-------------------------------------------------------------- Big surprize , soon , free software that will be sold allready installed in all ARMs by retailer , that will make it easier to start .

You will put the SoC ARM9 on test pads and it will auto sign on to 15 different i/o devices , all automatically !!

So , dont waste time learning software , it will not be used in the future ..

Reply to
werty

In article , shari writes

Bus width (most common)

4 bit 8 bit 16 bit 32 bit 64 bit and PICs :-)

This classification is simultaneous with :

PRICE (by sales people) Vladimir Vassilevsky writes

  1. < 50c.
  2. ~ 1$
  3. ~ ..5
  4. ~
  5. ~
  6. ~ 0
  7. > 0

And (by engineers) John Larkin writes Harvard Architecture, von Neumann Architecture, and Intel Abortions.

And Rube Bumpkin writes

Endian

And ( by silicon vendors)

Microns in die size

And DIL, PLCC, BGG, etc etc packages

And Availability soft core IP /FPGA core multi source single source plentiful Like hens teeth MOQ

/\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org      www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
Chris Hills

No, they're classified into these categories:

  1. 8-20 pins 2. 22-32 pins 3. 34-48 pins 4. 50-64 pins 5. 66-80 pins 6. 82-100 pins. 7. too friggin' many pins
--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I hope the
                                  at               "Eurythmics" practice birth

That should be

  1. 6-20 pins

Check out the Microchip PIC10F :)

Reply to
Arlet

there are a few types, here are some of the well known ones:

- NMOS

- CMOS

- BiCMOS

- SOS

Reply to
Ramses

Or more simply 1. - Those with the features I need. 2. - Useless

Robert

Robert Adsett

Chicken is not a bird, NCO is not an officer, PIC is not a processor.

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

You must have an MBA

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Don't forget PMOS, commonly used with 4 bit processors.

Also at least TTL, IIL and ECL microprocessor slices can be used.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

Babbage designed a printer for the second difference engine which had some remarkable features; it supported line-wrapping, variable column and row width, and programmable output formatting. (from wiki of course)

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

You completely forgot those with 0 pins, the soft-core ones.

Reply to
Leif Holmgren

I wish I could...

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I predict that by
                                  at               1993 everyone will live in

From what I can gather reading a couple of his posts, he thinks he's the Muhammad Ali of programming.

Colin

Reply to
Colin Hankins

I've seen him on several groups over the past few months and plonked him a couple of weeks back. I just had a look at his posts on Google Groups and see exactly the same as you: plenty of radical ideas without anything concrete to back them up. Nothing wrong with that per se but constantly saying "You're doing this wrong and I know better than you" when you offer no realistic alternative quickly grates.

I think it was Socrates who said "The only true wisdom is in knowing that you know nothing". I think we've all been at that point at some time when you think you know it all, when in fact you haven't even learned how much more there is to know.

--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews@sdf.lonestar.org

And then there are the previously mentioned sub-groups based on pin count :)

Reply to
Ramses Rimpfelmyr