Two kind of device with one report descriptor

Hello.

I need to make peripheral of my device work as both HID keyboard and
HID consumer device.
I need both keyboard functionality and functions like
FF/REW/Play/Pause/Stop/Volume up,down/Brighter, Darker etc.
OS is xp embedded.
Can I do this with one report descriptor?
As far as I have experienced, I need to make my device have 2
interfaces and 2 driver should be loaded.
And I wonder I can do this with only one interface.

Please answer.
Thanks.

Re: Two kind of device with one report descriptor

Maybe one report descriptor and one driver with 2 device filter
drivers would do the job. You may search/post your question to
"microsoft.public.development.device.drivers" group.

regards,
ali

Re: Two kind of device with one report descriptor

What is a report descriptor?  What are HID things?

 [page]: <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net
Re: Two kind of device with one report descriptor

http://www.usb.org/developers/docs /

Walter Banks
Byte Craft Limited
Re: Two kind of device with one report descriptor

Check on the Microchip Fourm they had talked about it.  I think it is
called a "compound device".

Re: Two kind of device with one report descriptor

Usually, those keys are on a second interface (shared sometimes with
the mouse).
It may work on the same interface, but I'm not sure since I never
tried. Most probably you'll have problems in Linux where the HID
drivers are not so good, but for Windows I think it would work. Try
and see. If you have experienced 2 interfaces, then you should have
the means to experience with one interface. It's better than asking!
Be sure to support boot protocol if the host requests for it.

Why do you want to use only one interface? What's the problem with
having 2 interfaces?
You don't save anything on your device.

Site Timeline