Try this

From: "Jay Maynard" Subject: Which microcontroller do I need? Date: Saturday, July 28, 2007 10:19 AM

I'm trying to select a microcontroller for an application, and having little luck sifting through the masses of information on the web.

I need:

1) Two async serial ports, capable of running at 9600 BPS. I'd greatly prefer this to be in hardware; bit-banging is too much work, and hard to do in realtime with other things going on. RS-232 drivers are not necessary, but the ability to accept inverted CMOS (1=0V, 0=+2.6V) levels is. 2) Ethernet, with TCP/IP stack provided. A web server isn't necessary, but I'll use it if it's there. 3) Reasonably inexpensive prototype board. This is a ham radio project, and I intend to publish it so that other hams can use it. 4) The ability to develop on Mac OS X, or at least Linux. I refuse to run Windows unless there is absolutely no other option. 5) Open source development tools. I can deal with C, and assembler doesn't faze me; I'd rather not do BASIC.

I don't need:

1) Bells and whistles on the prototype board. No LCD displays, buttons, optoisolators, or any other such. 2) A big, hairy realtime OS. The application's job is to monitor traffic going from one serial port to another, interpret it, and make the contents available via Ethernet, and to accept commands and insert them in the serial datastream going the other way. A nice, small kernel, OTOH, would probably be useful.

I don't care about:

1) Architecture wars. I have no investment in any microcontroller architecture, so I'm free to select the best (or only) one to do the job. 2) I/O pins beyond Ethernet and async. 3) Programming methods, as long as I can plug it into my Mac. This means USB, practically speaking, although an Ethernet-bootstrappable prototype board will also work. 4) Whether programming is accomplished on the prototype board or via a separate programmer.

Try a look at..

"easyweb3" or perhaps the ARM module LPC-E2124

Reply to
TheDoc

You might want to look at one of the Netburner ColdFire kits.

--Gene

Reply to
Gene S. Berkowitz