trend of "ARM"... will this replace all other micro-controller and ...

at the end of the day it will replace of 8051....whenever processor in
industrial controller area; these 80x what what are totally obsolete.

the "arm" will be installed with wireless 805.11g, USB storage, web-based
application to control relay , stepper motor, rocket...etc..

the home-based ( server side) will control the "arm" in remote area , remote
"mine sweeper" .... , robotic ....etc.

we need learn to "arm" and gcc in order to survive.

Re: trend of "ARM"... will this replace all other micro-controller and ...

You have all of 1 year (if that) of experience in embedded programming and
you're telling the rest of us this? The ARM is fine for some things, but not
for others. There is no one Magic Bullet solution in the embedded world.

Re: trend of "ARM"... will this replace all other micro-controller and ...
I think solve all problem.

not

Re: trend of "ARM"... will this replace all other micro-controller and ...
Surely the trend is toward ARM (low-cost, many manufacturers, good
architecture) but we all leave small steps in the sand behind us (8051 and
others) :)
- Henry

Mylinux schrieb in Nachricht ...
and

Re: trend of "ARM"... will this replace all other micro-controller and ...
Interesting thought. However, the one time I looked at ARM, they asked
us for a $1m license fee to use it in a custom IC. Goodbye ARM! Try
Renesas.com , they make the best low power high spec microcontrollers
(H8 and M16); ARM is probably better if you can afford it, but my line
of business would use under 50,000 units a year, so ARM is not cost
effective.

Re: trend of "ARM"... will this replace all other micro-controller and ...

Have you looked at Hyperstone? It looks interesting and I understand that
their license fee is considerably lower. Nevertheless, the processor seems
to be widely unknown, even to experienced insiders in this business.

Rob

Re: trend of "ARM"... will this replace all other micro-controller and ...
I looked at Hyperstone several times but I cannot see a clear benefit over
other modern structures like ARM. The greatest problem is that Hyperstone is
like the japanese manufacturers. If you know what I mean.
If you want to build a camera controller or such thing it's maybe a good
choice. For hobbyists oder small firms I think it's better to use common
architectures.
- Henry

Robert Kaiser schrieb in Nachricht ...

Re: trend of "ARM"... will this replace all other micro-controller and ...

Maybe you had the wrong approach. You do not have to pay ARM anything
upfront to do an ASIC,
if you go to an ASIC vendor which has already licensed the core.
You will normally pay a per die licence, but for a vendor like Atmel which
has
delivered tons of ARM ASIC, this is not very high.
For the 50ku volume , you can look at Atmel AT91 std ARM products.

--
Best Regards
Ulf at atmel dot com

WTF does all that mean?

--
Then there's duct tape ...
              (Garrison Keillor)

No so.... but then I have seen some road maps :-)

Yes arm all over the place.

Arm yes... Gcc not entirely true.

Re: trend of "ARM"... will this replace all other micro-controller and ...

I say gcc yes.. arm not entirely true.

Re: trend of "ARM"... will this replace all other micro-controller and ...

Arm is getting very widely used in most areas of embedded work.

gcc is not up to the mark in many areas of embedded work when compared
with the top end commercial compilers.

Yes, I have used gcc and spend years working with Unix as well also much
smaller targets. I also know some compiler writers and GCC maintainers.
Gcc is not bad but it is not that good either.

Re: trend of "ARM"... will this replace all other micro-controller and ...

Depends if you can afford the commerical compilers.
Or if your boss / company is willing to buy commerical compilers.

Not all of us work for defense or other large companies.

Alex

Re: trend of "ARM"... will this replace all other micro-controller and ...
./*nospam*/com./remove/au> writes
or professional companies...

Initial cost of a tool is not the same as the cost of ownership over
time.

You may be working in a company where time is not important, nor the
size, speed, efficiency and reliability of the code.

The size of the company has no bearing on the tools you need. I know
many one man outfits who use some very expensive tools because they are
the right tool that produces fast compact and above all reliable code.
As one said to me the other day he does not have time to play about
making up for unreliable tools. they need to work correctly without a
lot of messing about.

Re: trend of "ARM"... will this replace all other micro-controller and ...
Hi,

What's wrong with GCC?

It is absolutely everything but unreliable, the chance that bugs are
found and eradicated is very high, because it is used much more than
most commericial compilers (possibly except MS stuff, but I wouldn't
call that better)

Another advantage of GCC is that it is portable between architectures,
if you decide to switch to another processor or playform you can still
use gcc.
You'd have to buy and port all your code when using a CPU or platform
dependent commercial compiler.

I can't think of any disadvantages of GCC except it is quite difficult
to set up. Once setup it works like a charm though..

Wumpus

Re: trend of "ARM"... will this replace all other micro-controller and ...

Very little, however it is not the be-all-and-end-all.

It's rarely the best compiler for smaller micros. In my experience,
on anything with (roughly) less than about four general-purpose
registers capable of holding addresses or natural-sized integers,
you're better off with a compiler that's been crafted with the
constraints of the architecture in mind - there's too much juggling
otherwise for it to be time- and space-efficient. (e.g. the gcc ports
for HC11/HC12).

It's also rarely the best compiler for very powerful micros - for
example, Intel's own compiler eats it alive on high-end x86, in my
experience, since Intel can afford to put a lot of chip-specific
peephole optimisations into their own toolchain. (And do a hell of
a lot of expensive dataflow analysis).

GCC is quick to port, generates tolerable code on most common 32-bit
architectures, and comes with a lot of useful tools.  It's capable of
keeping most 32-bit RISCS fed and watered quite nicely.

Bugs in the core of GCC will be hunted down and slain quickly. Bugs in
ports - whether ports to a new host system or back-ends for a new
processor - might linger for some time.

See above. For most platforms it's a good solution. For some it isn't.
For others it's good but there are better ones...

One size never fits all, at least not perfectly.

pete
--
snipped-for-privacy@fenelon.com "there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas" HMHB

Re: trend of "ARM"... will this replace all other micro-controller and ...

Linux compiled on GCC + some apps = 1,7 MB.
Linux compiled on proto Green Hills compiler + same apps = 1,2 MB.

If you can provide 30 % code reduction , it is always interesting.

--
Best Regards
Ulf at atmel dot com

Which is pretty much what I was saying, but you cut my text.

pete
--
snipped-for-privacy@fenelon.com "there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas" HMHB

Re: trend of "ARM"... will this replace all other micro-controller and ...
Sorry I must disagree 100%, I am on a project now and the whole thing
plastic enclosure, circuit board, LCD, and all componenets must cost $3 or
less, and it needs a MCU, should I too use an ARM?

Richard.

remote

Re: trend of "ARM"... will this replace all other micro-controller and ...

Aha! An actual engineer amongst the opinionated students and other hoi
polloi! Sadly, actual experience counts for little as you are doubtless
too busy to write endless drivel here, whereas Those Who Know Without
Doing have all the time in the world. Strangely.

Site Timeline