TOUCHPAD 802.11 SIMPLE DEVICE

Hello everybody,

I'm looking for a wi-fi "simple device" LIKE A TOUCHPAD with 10 digits and a ENTER key, which be able to send the pressed information to a PC by TCP/IP?

Is there any "wi-fi remote control" circuit like this in the market? or some OEMs manufacturer you could recommend, could do this idea?

Tanx!

Reply to
EMONT

Why on earth would anybody use the whole skedazzle of 802.11 (not even to mention TCP/IP on top of that!) for such an application with altogether negligible needs? Using WiFi for this would be a waste of just about every ingredient involved, from battery power over spectrum usage to developer time --- it'd be complete overkill.

Just about every other radio transmission protocol would be better than WiFi for this. You should be looking at Bluetooth, instead, to name just one very obvious choice.

Hans-Bernhard Broeker

Or some of the cheap RF chips by ATMEL or others.

mike

Reply to
mike

Does it need to be WiFi? There are probably many more options if you weren't constrained to 802.11, but could use RF/infrared short-range point-to-point connections for the same purpose...

That said, I know that Jeremy Bentham at IOSoft has a pretty cool product that could do at least half of this:

Chon Tang

"Chon Tang" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Maybe he has a wireless LAN infrastructure in place... This could possibly run on the WLAN chip itself with a simple TCP/IP stack on top. I do not see any reason to add nasssty PICs to the device...

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson   ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com

Yes, we're finding the main reason why customers are using 802.11b is that the infrastructure is already in place (or about to be in place). They either have to be compatible with it, or face the costs & complication of installing a parallel system.

I don't agree; the WLAN chipset is doing a lot of time-critical work, so it isn't easyt to integrate TCP/IP and a user application onto it. Also, it is near-impossible to get any information on the inner workings of a WLAN card, and there are regulatory issues associated with modifying the firmware,.

It sounds like our ER22 product plus keypad could fulfil the OP's requirement, see

Jeremy Bentham Iosoft Ltd.

Reply to
Jeremy Bentham

The question could be why wi-fi to interactive feedback in presentations?

I think this devices let us introduce this technology and development to create interactive statistics graphics based on TCP/IP Client-Server applications... over "ad-hoc network".

So, my second point about this is to develop or to ask "may be" some development to provide a "secure Client software application" for

802.11 handhelds in order to let this users use their own PDAs to participate.

thanks emont snipped-for-privacy@msn.com

Reply to
EMONT

As always, first question is volume. If you only need a few, consider a PDA of some sort. For example, a Dell Axim X3 with Wifi is under $400, or if PalmOS floats your boat, a Tungsten C for $500. Darn sight easier to develop and program than custom hardware...

Reply to
Robert Wessel