TOUCHPAD 802.11 SIMPLE DEVICE

Hello everybody,

I'm looking for a wi-fi "simple device" LIKE A
TOUCHPAD with 10 digits and a ENTER key, which
be able to send the pressed information to a PC by TCP/IP?

Is there any "wi-fi remote control" circuit like this in the
market? or some OEMs manufacturer you could recommend,
could do this idea?

Tanx!

Re: TOUCHPAD 802.11 SIMPLE DEVICE

Why on earth would anybody use the whole skedazzle of 802.11 (not even
to mention TCP/IP on top of that!) for such an application with
altogether negligible needs?  Using WiFi for this would be a waste of
just about every ingredient involved, from battery power over spectrum
usage to developer time --- it'd be complete overkill.

Just about every other radio transmission protocol would be better
than WiFi for this.  You should be looking at Bluetooth, instead, to
name just one very obvious choice.

Re: TOUCHPAD 802.11 SIMPLE DEVICE

Or some of the cheap RF chips by ATMEL or others.

mike

Re: TOUCHPAD 802.11 SIMPLE DEVICE

Does it need to be WiFi?  There are probably many more options if you
weren't constrained to 802.11, but could use RF/infrared short-range
point-to-point connections for the same purpose...

That said, I know that Jeremy Bentham at IOSoft has a pretty cool
product that could do at least half of this:

http://www.iosoft.co.uk /

Re: TOUCHPAD 802.11 SIMPLE DEVICE

Maybe he has a wireless LAN infrastructure in place...
This could possibly run on the WLAN chip itself with a simple TCP/IP stack
on top.
I do not see any reason to add nasssty PICs to the device...

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson   ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com

Yes, we're finding the main reason why customers are using 802.11b is
that the infrastructure is already in place (or about to be in place).
They either have to be compatible with it, or face the costs &
complication of installing a parallel system.

I don't agree; the WLAN chipset is doing a lot of time-critical work,
so it isn't easyt to integrate TCP/IP and a user application onto it.
Also, it is near-impossible to get any information on the inner
workings of a  WLAN card, and there are regulatory issues associated
with modifying the firmware,.

It sounds like our ER22 product plus keypad could fulfil the OP's
requirement, see www.iosoft.co.uk/wlan2.php

Jeremy Bentham
Iosoft Ltd.

Re: TOUCHPAD 802.11 SIMPLE DEVICE
The question could be why wi-fi to interactive
feedback in presentations?

I think this devices let us introduce this technology
and development to create interactive statistics graphics
based on TCP/IP Client-Server applications... over "ad-hoc
network".

So, my second point about this
is to develop or to ask "may be" some development
to provide a "secure Client software application" for
802.11 handhelds in order to let this users
use their own PDAs to participate.

thanks
emont snipped-for-privacy@msn.com

Re: TOUCHPAD 802.11 SIMPLE DEVICE

As always, first question is volume.  If you only need a few, consider
a PDA of some sort.  For example, a Dell Axim X3 with Wifi is under
$400, or if PalmOS floats your boat, a Tungsten C for $500.  Darn
sight easier to develop and program than custom hardware...

Site Timeline