Tone Deafness

Op Fri, 16 Aug 2013 19:29:57 +0200 schreef Jan Panteltje :

The White Walkers are coming!

http://www.opera.com/mail/
Reply to
Boudewijn Dijkstra

Sorry for being so late to the thread. About 2 weeks ago, something happened to my right ear. I had been shooting earlier, but I was wearing plugs and shooting lighter guns, so i don't think that was it. I had been swimming a *very* little. Barely got my hair wet.

Anyway, tones in my right ear became frequency shifted, and they were louder than the right ear. Things sounded *weird*. This condition declined over about 4 days.

Had this condition been permanent, different tones of warning beepers would have been maybe a little useful at best. I have heard that cochlear implants produce weird tones.

Reply to
bbhack

left

Reply to
bbhack

On a sunny day (Sun, 25 Aug 2013 23:49:09 -0500) it happened bbhack wrote in :

Yes that IS a dillemma. ;-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

That sounds like a group cell death in the auditory ganglion and subsequent re-routing. Rather uncommon but not unheard of (incidental pun acknowledged). The nervous system is a marvelous thing.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Strange, I would code "0" as ten pulses.

AW

Reply to
Adam Wysocki

Here you can find even more examples:

AW

Reply to
Adam Wysocki

Suzuki Hayabusa (a motorcycle) has two levels of "check engine" (actually "FI") importance. When the "FI" LED lights steady, it's a minor problem and you can ride, ECU just substituted the signal from a failed sensor with a reasonable constant. When it flashes, it's fatal and engine is stopped.

AW

Reply to
Adam Wysocki

Are you sure that it's a firmware feature and not just fuel pressure issue?

AW

Reply to
Adam Wysocki

Yes, that would be logical. Didn't matter in the present case, as codes were pairs of digits, each enumerating a condition, not together as an actual numerical quantity. As I recall, the first digit was subsystem (ECU, ABS, etc..), second identifies what (oxygen sensor, ignition, etc..). If one system had more than 9 error codes, dunno... they might've just keep blinking it? Of course, most systems had only a few codes each, so most of the numbers that could be expressed weren't needed.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

That would be a very odd fuel pressure issue, to have a problem for a moment, and then not have it again if you continue driving!

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Maybe strange, but I'd check it in the first place. Have you talked to someone with the same car to ask if he noticed similar behavior?

AW

Reply to
Adam Wysocki

Don't know of anyone with the same car! ;-)

Reply to
Charlie E.