Tiny and cheap little USB to UART bridge

Check out:

http://www.customidea.com/hr-usbuart.php

VCP drivers for windows work great and its stand alone you just need to
connect TX/RX and ground.

Re: Tiny and cheap little USB to UART bridge

___

Pretty neat!  Will it work under 98SE?

Re: Tiny and cheap little USB to UART bridge

I suspect it's an FTDI chip on a neat little PCB- so the answer is
probably yes.

Paul Burke

Re: Tiny and cheap little USB to UART bridge
Yes I think it does work with Win 98SE. Its not an FTDI chip - you
couldnt fit one in that small size I dont think.

Re: Tiny and cheap little USB to UART bridge

Its a Silicon Labs CP2101 according to the datasheet in an MLP form factor
(5mm square). Neat though - minimal external components required.

    Andrew

Re: Tiny and cheap little USB to UART bridge
Yeah it works on its own - you dont have to have anything else there,
just the HR-USBUART connected to your micro via TX/RX and ground.

Re: Tiny and cheap little USB to UART bridge

Yes, kind of like we did making a board that has pads and holes
in the same pattern as a DE9 so we could retrofit our RS-232:
http://www.industrologic.com/usbprod.htm

--
Gary Peek                mailto: snipped-for-privacy@mycompanyname.com
Industrologic, Inc.      http://www.industrologic.com

Re: Tiny and cheap little USB to UART bridge
All I can say is that I have used them with the 921600baud rate and it
works perfectly. I have had only bad experiences with the DLP ones
based on the FTDI chip and their support was terrible. I am sure Si
Labs will address the Linus issue in time...

Re: Tiny and cheap little USB to UART bridge
[topposting has been fixed]

But you have designed them, haven't you?  So you can provide the exact
answer.

   Vadim

Re: Tiny and cheap little USB to UART bridge

Presumably it is phase locked to the incoming USB clock so it will be
as accurate as the PC's clock.

kevin

Re: Tiny and cheap little USB to UART bridge

Before using that chip, think about the company politics about not releasing
a linux open source driver (http://www.kroah.com/log/2004/11/18 /).

Bye
--
Uwe Bonnes                 snipped-for-privacy@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de

Institut fuer Kernphysik  Schlossgartenstrasse 9  64289 Darmstadt