timing diagram s/w

I've been poking around looking for some simple, preferably free, s/w to
generate timing diagrams (winxp). Everything that I've been able to find is
pretty expensive, from $275US into the thousands, and the features are much
more than I need.

OTOH, creating all the graphics from scratch and editing the diagrams on a
bit-by-bit level, is a real pain in the neck. There has to be a better way!

Is there anything out there, that works reasonably well, for free (or
cheap)? If not, what is a decent graphics program?

(I realize this topic has been taken up before in this group. I'm hoping
that somebody's come up with a solution since the last big thread on this
subject.)

Thanks,

Mike

Re: timing diagram s/w

is
much
way!

Using ASCII characters in a text editor is not too bad for something simple.
I'm thinking of creating a timing diagram font. I think something like that
would work pretty well. -- Mike

Re: timing diagram s/w

  Yes, that could be a good approach, especially if you 'map' the font
carefully, so that more granular ASCII art also works.

eg

Qa_/==============\_________________/=============\_________________
Qb ________/==============\_________________/=============\________

    |<-- Tsu -->|

could map onto a font with less gaps, for a more printable version.
-jg

Re: timing diagram s/w

Other possibility (more tedious) is to make a table on your favourite word
processor and play with the cell borders. I've done it a couple of times, but
I'd rather avoid it in the future.

--
Ignacio G.T.

Re: timing diagram s/w
snipped-for-privacy@evomer.yahoo.es (Ignacio G.T.) wrote in

I've done this too but I find this technique works much better with Excel
cells.

--
- Mark ->
--

Re: timing diagram s/w
I used something several years ago that I found on a Simtel.net site.  It

Edwin

Re: timing diagram s/w

Let us know how you get on.
The Special Font approach appeals, because it allows TEXT SOURCE
files to still compile, in whatever language you are using.

Going past that, into more graphical space, something portable would be
best, thus you need to find standards that have viewers.

SVG {Scalable Vector Graphics] would seem ideal for timing diagrams, it
has simply polylines, and text, and a true white-sheet (unlike HTML
etc).  See
http://www.sodipodi.com/index.php3?section=development

  You could add a Timing-Waveform button to this, for example...

  There is also DWF format, from AutoCAD, they claim is open, and that
also has viewers and simple editors.

-jg

Re: timing diagram s/w

that

There are programs out there that let you create TT fonts, but I can't find
any fixed width font editors. I took a peek at a couple of windoze fw fonts
and they seemed a bit much to decode for my poor little brain. I decided to
put this project on hold until (unless) I come across a fw editor.

A timing diagram font would be great, though, and it'd be pretty easy to
write a windoze program to use that font. I would like to copy something
like windoze Small Fonts and then add my fonts somewhere above 127. You'd
get letters from the keyboard and whatever other symbols you wanted from the
ASCII codes. In addition to timing diagram symbols, I'd like to have
characters for (c), (r), (tm), omega, a proper u with the tail hanging down,
etc.

I'm surprised that there aren't already a slew of electronic symbols in at
least some of the common fonts that ship with new computers. Why aren't
characters like omega and mu included in most every font set? The people who
design these damn things ought to think about these kinds of things.

If I do find a fw creator/utility program, I'll be sure to put the font on
my website and then post here to let everyone know that its available. An
electronics oriented font is a great idea, and I'm truly surprised that
there isn't already something out there like it.

Mike

Re: timing diagram s/w

It may be better to map at least the waveform ones directly
  _____/============\_______________

then the file is still readable without the font.
I have also seen one PLD compiler that gags on CHAR > 127.

Take a look at http://ee.cleversoul.com/fun/fonts.html
and maybe
http://www.high-logic.com/fcp.html

-jg

Re: timing diagram s/w

Nice!

I downloaded that program before. My impression is that it won't do a
fixed-width font. Maybe I'll play around with it. I would also like to have
a Code 39 (barcode) font to call my own.

Re: timing diagram s/w
find
fonts

What about any cheap drawing program, that can work on a grid. Hell, even a
PCB layout program would to to draw a timing diagram....

down,

I see you work with windows. Every windows has a utility called Character
Map. You can just pick all these characters from that map and copy/paste
them into your text. Some even work with Alt+nnnn combinations.

They are!

Meindert

Re: timing diagram s/w
I looked for the same thing a few years ago, and found Time Crafter.
You  can download it at this URL,
    http://www.goldinc.com/Tour/LongBeach/Businesses/ASR_/overview.html

I tried to register it back then, but they never cashed my check so I
guess it is unsupported now.

Ben Allgor

Re: timing diagram s/w

Hi Ben,

I downloaded that program & it looks just like the thing I was looking for.
I had to find and download bwcc.dll, which I think is a 16 bit Borland DLL.
(It was easy to find using google.)

I think this program is going to help me a lot. It'd be worth the $15 just
to get rid of the nag screens. If I get in touch with them, I'll let you
know.

Thanks!

Mike

Re: timing diagram s/w
Check out the following links:

http://www.clearthought.uk.com/ - Windoze based Timing Diagram
software

http://www.timingdesigner.com/ -Also Windoze based

http://www.timingtool.com/ -Windoze based... but slanted
more towards test bench creation with HDL.

Edwin Bland

is
much
way!