timing diagram s/w

I've been poking around looking for some simple, preferably free, s/w to generate timing diagrams (winxp). Everything that I've been able to find is pretty expensive, from $275US into the thousands, and the features are much more than I need.

OTOH, creating all the graphics from scratch and editing the diagrams on a bit-by-bit level, is a real pain in the neck. There has to be a better way!

Is there anything out there, that works reasonably well, for free (or cheap)? If not, what is a decent graphics program?

(I realize this topic has been taken up before in this group. I'm hoping that somebody's come up with a solution since the last big thread on this subject.)

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Mike Turco

is

much

way!

Using ASCII characters in a text editor is not too bad for something simple. I'm thinking of creating a timing diagram font. I think something like that would work pretty well. -- Mike

Reply to
Mike Turco

Yes, that could be a good approach, especially if you 'map' the font carefully, so that more granular ASCII art also works.

eg

Qa_/==============\_________________/=============\_________________ Qb ________/==============\_________________/=============\________

could map onto a font with less gaps, for a more printable version.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Other possibility (more tedious) is to make a table on your favourite word processor and play with the cell borders. I've done it a couple of times, but I'd rather avoid it in the future.

-- Ignacio G.T.

Reply to
Ignacio G.T.

snipped-for-privacy@evomer.yahoo.es (Ignacio G.T.) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@News.Individual.Net:

I've done this too but I find this technique works much better with Excel cells.

--
- Mark ->
Mark A. Odell

I used something several years ago that I found on a Simtel.net site. It was Windoze based and actually had pretty good abilities for freeware/shareware. Sorry I can't recall the name of it.... Something like TimeTrax....

Reply to
Edwin Bland

Let us know how you get on. The Special Font approach appeals, because it allows TEXT SOURCE files to still compile, in whatever language you are using.

Going past that, into more graphical space, something portable would be best, thus you need to find standards that have viewers.

SVG {Scalable Vector Graphics] would seem ideal for timing diagrams, it has simply polylines, and text, and a true white-sheet (unlike HTML etc). See

You could add a Timing-Waveform button to this, for example...

There is also DWF format, from AutoCAD, they claim is open, and that also has viewers and simple editors.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

that

There are programs out there that let you create TT fonts, but I can't find any fixed width font editors. I took a peek at a couple of windoze fw fonts and they seemed a bit much to decode for my poor little brain. I decided to put this project on hold until (unless) I come across a fw editor.

A timing diagram font would be great, though, and it'd be pretty easy to write a windoze program to use that font. I would like to copy something like windoze Small Fonts and then add my fonts somewhere above 127. You'd get letters from the keyboard and whatever other symbols you wanted from the ASCII codes. In addition to timing diagram symbols, I'd like to have characters for (c), (r), (tm), omega, a proper u with the tail hanging down, etc.

I'm surprised that there aren't already a slew of electronic symbols in at least some of the common fonts that ship with new computers. Why aren't characters like omega and mu included in most every font set? The people who design these damn things ought to think about these kinds of things.

If I do find a fw creator/utility program, I'll be sure to put the font on my website and then post here to let everyone know that its available. An electronics oriented font is a great idea, and I'm truly surprised that there isn't already something out there like it.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Turco

It may be better to map at least the waveform ones directly _____/============\_______________

then the file is still readable without the font. I have also seen one PLD compiler that gags on CHAR > 127.

Take a look at

and maybe

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

"Jim Granville" wrote

Nice!

I downloaded that program before. My impression is that it won't do a fixed-width font. Maybe I'll play around with it. I would also like to have a Code 39 (barcode) font to call my own.

Reply to
Mike Turco

find

fonts

What about any cheap drawing program, that can work on a grid. Hell, even a PCB layout program would to to draw a timing diagram....

down,

I see you work with windows. Every windows has a utility called Character Map. You can just pick all these characters from that map and copy/paste them into your text. Some even work with Alt+nnnn combinations.

They are!

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

I looked for the same thing a few years ago, and found Time Crafter. You can download it at this URL,

I tried to register it back then, but they never cashed my check so I guess it is unsupported now.

Ben Allgor

Mike Turco wrote:

Reply to
Ben Allgor

Check out the following links:

- Windoze based Timing Diagram software

-Also Windoze based

-Windoze based... but slanted more towards test bench creation with HDL.

Edwin Bland

is

much

way!

Reply to
Edwin Bland

Hi Ben,

I downloaded that program & it looks just like the thing I was looking for. I had to find and download bwcc.dll, which I think is a 16 bit Borland DLL. (It was easy to find using google.)

I think this program is going to help me a lot. It'd be worth the $15 just to get rid of the nag screens. If I get in touch with them, I'll let you know.

Thanks!

Mike

Reply to
Mike Turco