Tight Constraint Embedded System

Hello All,

Please any of you can let me know what are all the things I have to take care in a tight constraint embedded system.

Now dont ask me what is the exact configuration on your board . I too dont know at this point. I can say that its a very small compact flash ( Less than 4 MB)and Ram may be greater than (256 KB) .

I want a general overview on this . What all I have to look while developing software.

One more question :

1) How will you take care of memory management in a system that doesnt have a MMU ?

Thanks Rakesh

Reply to
Rakesh

With as little information as you gave, that is quite impossible to say.

You consider 4MB of flash and 256KB of RAM tight? Boy, you ain't seen nothin' yet. "Tight", in here, means 4-bit processors with memorys small enough you wouldn't even think twice about describing a problem by telling an expert the entire RAM via phone, reading the hexdump off the screen for him. That system is a heavyweight, by the usual standards of this group.

Hans-Bernhard Broeker

sounds like a troll.. no engineer worth his salt would even consider this "tight"..

Reply to
TheDoc

Sounds more like homework to me.

Reply to
Lewin Edwards

Loads of room!!!!. I am usually doing lots of things in under 64K total address space (RAM, ROM and I/O). Current projects include TDS2020 (H8 based system) and MSP430F149. However, I know of systems that cram into less than 512 bytes and are still very useful.

Paul E. Bennett ....................
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy .....
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972 .........NOW AVAILABLE:- HIDECS COURSE......
Tel: +44 (0)1235-811095 .... see http://www.feabhas.com for details.
Paul E. Bennett

Sounds like a PC Programmer trying to figure out how can I fit a Desktop Program it to that little CPU.

Reply to
Neil Kurzman

Homework solutions are stored in /dev/null.

pete

--
pete@fenelon.com "there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas"
Reply to

The constraints. Everything else is feasible.

SCNR Andreas

--
A clever person solves a problem.
A wise person avoids it.