Thus something as a 'High-Definition' LCD module exists ?

I've been thinking of designing a small portable LCD device that takes High-Definition video (720P / 1080P) as an input (preferable from a HD- SDI signal)

I've been searching around but i realy don't find out if there is something like a HD LCD module by itself ? If people speak of HD, thus this apply to the physical LCD itself, or thus it just mean that more data is displayed on a regular (bigger) LCD ?

I imagined that the LCD itself had smaller pixels, so giving us more resolution. But if a look at the major manufacturers (Hitachi ea) you only find the LCD modules with resolutions we've seen for years (ea

320 x 240 on a 5.7 inch)

Offcoarse i see that with the same pixel size, you can display more pixels if you're screen is bigger..

Just don't see how you display 1080 horizontal pixels on lets say a

5.7" LCD.

Do i miss something ?

Stan

Reply to
StanV

Not much, but there is a 6.5" 1024 x 768 TFT from NEC - NL10276BC13-01C . I saw Avnet list it (non-stock, though) at $350 for sample quantities. There is a nice 800x600 display by Gi Far from Taiwan, gifar.com.tw . It is an 8" display or so, but has a much smaller outline than similar devices (183x141 IIRC vs. 203+ for the rest, all sizes in mm); much cheaper than the XGA NEC and stocked. By far the most popular resolution for the 6" or so sized displays is

800x480 - WVGA, as they seem to call them (Wide VGA). I can locate a number of them - at Gi Far included - but I also see a number of end products - tiny TV-sets, video players etc. - using such a display at the local store around $100.

Dimiter

StanV wrote:

Reply to
Didi

Sanyo-Epson do a 7.1" 1920x1080 panel, I'm not quite sure what the point is on something that small though.

-p

--
"Unix is user friendly, it's just picky about who its friends are."
 - Anonymous

Maybe not much use in a consumer application, but could be usefull for broadcast profesionals/diagnostics etc..

Reply to
StanV

Well, that all depends on where the thing is mounted, and how its light output finds its way to the eye. Projection systems, digicams and head-mounted displays have different different requirements than your average TV or computer screen.

Reply to
Hans-Bernhard Bröker