the metrics of dma performance

I know that DMA plays an important role in current onchip communication
architecture of many microprocessors. But I don't know what kind of
metrics we can use to describe the performance of a dma design. For
example, channel numbers, transfer speed, logic resources occupied...
Is there any paper or articles describing the difference or giving an
comparision of different structure of dma?

Re: the metrics of dma performance

The fastest DMA is using the clock itself. Slower
ones use divided clocks. You could have multiple
simultaneous channels and they could be of smaller
width than the cpu. That's about it.

Rene

Re: the metrics of dma performance

Even slower ones are implemented in the processor
microcode rather than hardware.  Like the original
NEC V-25.

Re: the metrics of dma performance
... snip ...

I remember rejecting that for a 64180 about 20 years ago, because
its DMA access was slower.  Both units had the same maximum clock
rate at the time.  The difference allowed me to capture the front
end data burst.